My first end grain chopping board

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sploo

Somewhat extinguished member
Reaction score
After recently picking up a Metabo DH330 thickness planer, I wanted to try to create an end grain chopping board, similar to those made by MTMWood.

Originally I wanted to use American Black Walnut and Maple, but my local turning supplier didn't have any Maple. A bit of searching told me that sycamore would be an acceptable substitute:

20141119_105622.jpg

I planed the Sycamore down to 40x40mm, and lightly planed the walnut to 20x20mm (it was purchased as pen blanks, so was pretty close already). My plan was to have a grid of 6x4 of the 40mm Sycamore blocks, edged with 20mm walnut.

20141119_130536.jpg

20141119_133446.jpg

My old bandsaw blade was a lot more blunt than I realised (it was still cutting 3/4" MDF boards OK), so it rather died on its backside cutting hardwood; or more specifically, cut using heat :oops:. A new blade for the later cuts solved that problem.

This was a dry fit of one row of the blocks:

20141119_141542.jpg

I glued the walnut as a set of 7 (there would be two columns of 7 blocks on the top and bottom) and two sets of 2 (for the edges). Then the sycamore and sets of 2 walnut were glued together:

20141122_001639.jpg

20141122_220215.jpg

I realised that the planer had left a little snipe on the material - almost impossible to feel, but obvious in the right light (see the walnut shot below). I made some sleds from pine offcuts to hold the parts; such that the snipe should happen on the ends of the sled.

20141129_201359.jpg

20141214_145419.jpg

The results after planing:

20141220_134951.jpg

I then sliced the slabs into sections of roughly the thickness of the final board, and did a quick "dry fit":

20141221_144014.jpg

20141221_144307.jpg

I did the final gluing in stages, to try to avoid slipping due to the glue (Titebond III used for the whole project).

20141222_091407.jpg

20141222_222848.jpg

The edges of the board weren't perfect, so needed to be trimmed. I did that on a router table jig I made specifically for the job (see edge-trimming-jig-for-the-router-table-t86197.html).

With the edges smooth and square, the board went into another sled (this time both to prevent snipe on the board, and also tearout of the end grain), then had its final planning:

20141223_161658.jpg

20141223_164500.jpg

I then rounded it over on the router table, and followed that with plenty of sanding:

20141223_183457.jpg

Then a liberal drowning in mineral oil:

20141223_214506.jpg

20141223_215427.jpg

Finally, some shots on a "proper" camera:

IMG_0934.jpg

IMG_0936.jpg

IMG_0941.jpg

IMG_0943.jpg

IMG_0952.jpg

It's not perfect. I don't have a jointer, so the blocks weren't actually perfectly square (which becomes obvious when you try to glue many of them together). Fortunately I managed to close any gaps - but this meant the board wasn't totally square once glued, and thus needed the edges planed on my jig.

The planning of the board (before it was sliced) also affected the size of the resulting blocks, so it doesn't quite line up with the walnut, but it's not that obvious "in the flesh".

The planer coped quite well, but I'm very conservative; cuts on end grain were never more than 0.25mm; usually less. Obviously this requires a lot of passes, but it was a small board (approx. 280x200x30mm finished) so that didn't take long.

Without interruptions (you know, family, job, blunt bandsaw blades, that sort of thing :wink:) you could probably do this in ~3 days (mostly the time waiting for the glue stages to dry). As evidenced by the image timestamps, it took me more than a month!

bugbear":2ce32jde said:
I'm glad I use handtools - these powertools look like a lot of work. :D

BugBear
LOL. They're a lot of noise, that's for sure.

The biggest problem I have is lack of time; so generally everything has to be "get it done", meaning that you never have time to fettle or tune things up. The router table jig was probably the first time in ages I've had chance to stop, and work out a decent solution to a problem (rather than doing a bodge), but by that point I'd got so much time invested in the board I really didn't want to screw it up.

Excellent job sploo!Thanks for the WIP.
I personally prefer sycamore, although there is little difference between it and maple.
I see what you meant about the bandsaw burner.
The end grain boards would have made very acceptable Christmas gifts, me thinks!
What's next, on the agenda,may I ask?
Regards Rodders

blackrodd":24zyiwx7 said:
I personally prefer sycamore, although there is little difference between it and maple.
The end grain boards would have made very acceptable Christmas gifts, me thinks!
Regards Rodders
Yes - it was done as an Xmas present (just got it finished in time)!

My bandsaw has probably been my most used tool, but mainly for man-made sheets (making loudspeakers). I just hadn't realised how blunt the blade had gotten as it was still cutting sheets OK. Of course, when it died it was a Sunday morning, with no hope of getting a suitable replacement, so I lost a day #-o

Next on the agenda? I've just bought an Axy TS-200, and the router table top has sunk a bit; thus a new combined cabinet for the router and table saw. At the current rate of progress I expect to be doing a write-up around this time 2016 :wink:

woodpig":24zyiwx7 said:
Nice job, looks good.
Thanks!

sploo":3skba1s2 said:
blackrodd":3skba1s2 said:
Regards Rodders

My bandsaw has probably been my most used tool, but mainly for man-made sheets (making loudspeakers). I just hadn't realised how blunt the blade had gotten as it was still cutting sheets OK. Of course, when it died it was a Sunday morning, with no hope of getting a suitable replacement, so I lost a day #-o

Next on the agenda? I've just bought an Axy TS-200, and the router table top has sunk a bit; thus a new combined cabinet for the router and table saw. At the current rate of progress I expect to be doing a write-up around this time 2016 :wink:

woodpig":3skba1s2 said:
Nice job, looks good.
Thanks!

I think it's about enjoying the planning and construction more so than the time taken.
although the time flies when you are absorbed in any projects.
Regards Rodders

sploo":y7x5xzck said:
blackrodd":y7x5xzck said:
Regards Rodders

woodpig":y7x5xzck said:
Nice job, looks good.
Thanks!
Get yourself an M 42 from Tuffsaws ... and don't buy bandsaw blades one at a time. :D

8squared":30zniwd6 said:
It turned out really well, the pattern round the edge I quite like.
Thanks. I tried a degree of "book matching" (i.e. there was some thought into the orientation of the pieces). It was only when it was oiled did one side show the lighter detail though.

phil.p":30zniwd6 said:
Get yourself an M 42 from Tuffsaws ... and don't buy bandsaw blades one at a time. :D
Yea... that's a bit of a sore point...

I'd got a selection of blades, but my others were too thin/too high tpi to really use for that sort of cutting. I ordered a new set of blades direct from Record (it's a BS300), including a 3/4" blade as I thought that would be the best for thick hardwood (listed as being OK for the machine).

The result of the 3/4" blade is that the blade tensioner (a bit of threaded rod, with a "head" for the plastic knob) is sitting on my desk in two pieces. I've got a replacement, but no time to fit it yet. When I spoke to Record, the response I got was on the lines of "oh yeah, we list that blade for that machine, but I probably wouldn't try putting it on" #-o

Fortunately I'd just got enough tension in it (before the tensioner snapped) that I was able to use it to finish the job.

Now that I have the TS-200 (i.e. another way of doing most cuts) I can probably risk ripping the machine apart in order to fit the replacement tensioner. It's been a great bandsaw, but the original tensioner rod design is perhaps a weak point (they indicated the replacement part is slightly beefed up).

flying haggis":30zniwd6 said:
I like that board, hope you wont spoil it by cutting on it....
LOL. It's not mine now to choose :)

That said, one of the reasons for end grain is that it takes cuts far better. Essentially you're cutting into the end of a set of bunched straws (so the blade goes between the tubes). On a normal board, you're cutting through the straws, so it's harder on the blade, and damage shows up far more. That's the theory at least.

Very nice edging. Courageous to pick a block pattern where the alignment would be so critical ! A staggered brickwork type pattern with the border put on afterwards might be more forgiving.

The end grain boards do hold up to cutting better. The downside is that they "get the hump" if you put something warm and wet on them - e.g. carve a roaat. Hopefully the thickness of yours willl minimise that.

Sheffield Tony":xq1pfi94 said:
Courageous to pick a block pattern where the alignment would be so critical !
It was more a case of stupidity resulting from inexperience :D

Back