My first box

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tsg

Established Member
Reaction score
Last year we had our old wooden front door replaced, I kept the wood and at last I decided
to try and make something from it. I am new to this kind of woodworking although I have
done some decking and fences and that kind of stuff.
I decided to try and make a jewelry box for the wife, and I was going to use the two lower
panels from the door. I drew up extensive plans on the bit of paper you can see at the back.

IMG00057-20121126-1127800x600.jpg

I started by sizing and planing/thicknessing the boards. Mistake number 1 already.
The boards are the right size for the box but the lid was supposed to be bigger and
so I had cut the boards too small. Note to self - make better plans next time.

IMG00059-20121126-1220800x600.jpg

After reducing the dimensions slightly I cut the boards to length and used my finger/box
joint jig to cut the joints. The jig is from Matthias Wandel on Woodgears.ca.
A strange bloke but obviously very gifted.

IMG00060-20121126-1257800x600.jpg

IMG00061-20121126-1306800x600.jpg

5 minutes to cut all the joints and a dry fit. Doesn't seem too bad.

IMG00063-20121126-1358800x600.jpg

The lid is routed around the edge and a small strip of pine inlay to break it up a bit.
I wish I had a contrasting hardwood but this was about recycling and the pine was from
an old bed frame. The mitred corners aren't perfect but they will do.

IMG00068-20121127-1411800x600.jpg

Lid and box sanded down and first coat of oil applied to the lid.

IMG00070-20121128-1107800x600.jpg

Mistake number 2 came to light at this point, when I had reduced the dimensions, I forgot
to reduce the height to keep the proportions the same. So back to the table saw to cut
2cm of the lid height.

IMG00072-20121128-1116800x600.jpg

The narrower panels I had at the beginning were jointed and glued together. I resawed
them in half on the band saw and planed them smooth. Then cut the pieces to size, mitred
the corners and made two trays.

IMG00074-20121128-1259800x600.jpg

These were then lined with felt and this is the result.
I am not very happy with the felt but as it is only wrapped around cardboard and stuck
in with double sided tape it shouldn't be too hard to replace.

IMG00078-20121129-2052800x600.jpg

IMG00080-20121129-2053800x600.jpg

IMG00081-20121129-2054-Copy800x600.jpg

Well that's it so far, still needs a brass keyhole thing on the front, just to break it up a bit, and possibly a mirror in the lid
but that will have to wait a while.
Main thing I have learned with this is to make proper plans at the outset, and maybe a sketchup model.
Any constructive criticism most welcome.

Paul

PS Thanks to everyone who has advised me how to post pictures on here

It's good to see some good recycling on here.

From the photo's it looks really good, give yourself a pat on the back.
=D>

Very nice iam sure your wife will be delighted, like the finger joints but that jig looks like some sort of medieval torture device, was it hard to construct ?

Mark, if you go to Mattias Wandels home page at www.woodgears.com you will see a number of jigs and machines. He is a strange but very gifted man.
The box joint jig is actually very simple once you have set it up properly. For me, one turn of the horizontal cog, equals a movement the same size as the width of my table saw blade. This box was 3 x the blade width, so turn once and cut, turn again and cut, once more and cut, then turn 4 times and cut again. Simples!! Seriously, the box joints took less than 5 minutes! However building the jig took a COUPLE OF DAYS!!! Watch his videos and you will have to make some of his stuff.
Thanks
Paul

Paul,

I started making boxes a couple of years ago and my first attempts were a total failure, pleased to say they have now improved and are quite presentable, the point is that with every one you make they get better because the mistakes you made with the last one are indelibly imprinted on the brain, I think the box is great and I am impressed that you made sense of the jig to the point of making one, I have looked at his stuff before and he obviously likes engineering but with wood.

If there should be any critique then I would say the lid could do with being a bit smaller and maybe repeated for a base, the box wouldn't then be so 'top heavy' and the box could do with being a bit shallower but that is how I see it in the photo's

Search for 'Escutcheon' for the 'brass keyhole thing'

Regards
Andy

Andy, thanks for the advice. I must agree with it all really. I have since seen some pics of a similar box with a small lip around the bottom to match the lid and it works really well. I am not a designer..yet.., still struggling to get the woodworking bit sorted, but who knows ....one day???

Thanks to all that have passed comment. After all the picture frames I have had to make for the family, I probably have just enough of the door left to make another box. So be prepared to be bored again!

By the way I think it is oak, but not really sure. If anyone has any ideas as to the type of wood it is, please let me know.
Thanks
Paul

Thank you for the link Paul,when i have more time I shall take a closer look as i fear i may be on that site for several hours :wink:

Back