My first Bobbin .... and is this correct?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hudson Carpentry

Established Member
Reaction score
Hello

The lady I was on about a while back that asked after me doing some bobbins said yes to my quote but don't want them just yet (summer holidays).

I have just has a go at one with some oak.

DSCF1465.jpg

I looked on the net for sizes and it said at the smallest point there 7mm and widest 12mm. So I have done just this 7mm where the lace goes and about 12mm elsewhere but it don't look right to me? Where the lace goes it seems to thick compared to other picture of them?

I was going to finish this off in wax but is that a good idea with there being lace wrapped round it? What is the standard finish for bobbins?

Thanks all.

Attachments

• DSCF1465.jpg
    DSCF1465.jpg
    85.4 KB · Views: 965
Just looking into this myself and found a guide here:-

http://www.angelfire.com/d20/mikesbobbins/birth.html

Basically 115mm to 130mm long and turn to a 6.25mm to 6.5mm diameter. Dont forget a 1mm diameter drilled hole in the tail end for spangles.
The finish appears to be the same finish that would be applied to a pen.

Have a look on the 'net for pictures of the various types of bobbins and turn your first few with those designs in mind.

Havent a pic to post as I only got my lathe about a week ago and am now making pens for eager relatives!!

General impression is it's far too chunky, 30-40 of those around a cushion and she will need a trolly to move it.
From what I've observed fine lace makers using, I'd say they need to be about 1/3rd those diameters.

Lacemakers usually have a distinct personal preference for style and weight, hence the origin of adding beads etc. I suspect, keeps the spindle fine but adds weight without bulk at the working end.

Suggest you obtain some typical working styles and ask prospective customers what their preference is.

I have turned and sold many lace bobbins over the years, they should be about 115mm long 6mm thick at the widest point and the bobbin for the thread should be 20 to 25mm long by 2.5mm thick.

Never finish with wax as this will get onto the thread; either hang the bobbin up using the hole drilled in the end and spray it with lacquer or apply Melamine lacquer by hand.

Thanks Walton, I didn't think 7mm was anywhere close after turning the one I posted a picture of. From all the pictures I have looked through I hadn't seen one as chunky.

I made this one 110mm long so I suppose the site I got the diamentions from was correct about one thing.

Thank you all!

Well I tried another last night, got a nice shape and then started on the bobbin part, down from 7mm to about 4mm when it caught, snapped and flew off the lathe.

I found the best way was to turn the lace bobbin with the bobbin end close to the headstock, this reduces the tendancy for the wood to whip when you try to turn the bobbin section.

I also found that the skew was the best tool to use to turn the bobbin as this again reduces the whip any other tool caused the wood to ride up over the cutting edge and break the bobbin, just take light cuts with the skew and you should be ok.

Well - if I can get it to upload then here is my first try after taking into account the advice of Tony.

Just noticed that it is the same style as the OP - sorry about that ... I just happened to find a picture of the Classic style in a mag.

Anyway it is 95mm long and the neck is 3mm in diameter. I have drilled a 1mm hole in the tail for spangles. No wax was used in the creation :)

I enjoyed doing this as it was a learning experience - the steady hand and light touch needed kept me awake! Now if I can just get family members to take up lace making..........

Oh yeah I turned it from a 9mm x 9mm peice of Obeche that was lying around and finished with friction polish and CA glue.

Attachments

• bobbin-1.jpg
    bobbin-1.jpg
    19.8 KB · Views: 698
Well done on your first bobbin, pleased to hear my advice was of some help.

You just need to make a 100 more to get them perfect :)

T. Walton":3112vurc said:
Well done on your first bobbin, pleased to hear my advice was of some help.

You just need to make a 100 more to get them perfect :)

Only 100 ... !

Made a template for that one and now going to use it to do its twin - that should keep me alert for a while. Then I will try some of the more ornate styles. That and a few more pens will keep me going till after my September Holiday. Probably try a small bowl or lidded box then.

The lathe I just bought was meant to be an early Christmas present but I neglected to inform wifey that I would also need things like a Drill Press, Scroll Chuck set, Bench Drill Press, Bench Grinder, various Gouges etc - I have just finished getting those in one at a time and she has just realised and informed me that they are my next few Birthday presents too ..... she doesnt mean it though - I hope!

Keith :)

Just had another go with maple. This fort me all the way. Is maple a good wood for turning? Im sure I was told or read that maple was good for bobbins. My tools are sharp.

Any how Listening to the advice given thank you I finally turned one successfully.

DSCF1467.jpg

106x7mm started with a 10mm blank.

The bobbin is 3mm thick.

Attachments

• DSCF1467.jpg
    DSCF1467.jpg
    81.5 KB · Views: 610
Back