My first bit of furniture (WIP)

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

exigetastic

Established Member
Reaction score
I've finally been inspired to make a piece of "furniture"

Basically I was short of shelf space and had a load of spare 12mm ply left over from lining my shed, so I have decided to build a basic cabinet.

I've never made anything this small, used a router table, or accurately cut boards to square before!!! Up until now every project has pretty much involved rough sawn timber a cheap SCMS an impact driver, and 3" screws (oh and a hammer for fine adjustments ;) )

So please be kind with your comments!!!

Firstly I cut the timber down to size with a circ saw using a spirit level for a guide. My plan was to have 2 sides measuring 600x 900 (600 is the depth of my worktop, 900 is the length of my spirit level :oops: ) The top and bottom are 470 x 600 (470 was determined by an existing space I have to put the cabinet, 600 is obviously the depth again)

My first attempt didn't exactly come out straight, so I modified my technique a bit, and firstly cut the boards a few mm over, then used a straight bit, and some planing shims on my router table to bring back down to the line. Bingo some nice square, straight boards 8)

Next I started on the joints. Rather than simple butt joints with screws/ braces I decided I'd try and go for a glue only approach. Not sure of the name of this type of joint, but this is what I came up with....

2365818541_5b6e207043.jpg

Again using a straight cutting bit in my router table, with the fence 6mm back and the bit protruding 6mm up (going via 3mm first pass). I ran these on all the edges where the board meet.

2365818637_4124492416.jpg

Finally I routed some rebates using a 12mm straight cutting bit in both sides to fit the internal shelves. Remembering to mirror them :lol:

2365818399_ab1b630406.jpg

This is the dry fit of the components so far...

2366652706_098c03beef.jpg

I need to get some new wood glue as the stuff I have is drying white, and come up with a plan for clamping.

Not sure what I'll do about the back as I'm going to put it on a wall made of the same stuff any way.

All in all I've enjoyed this so far, and learnt a great deal.

Feed back greatly recieved!

It's coming along well. I think it is a good idea to put the back on when you glue up as it keeps everything square. On the subject of square. if you are cutting your panels to final size with a hand held circular saw you should make yourself a sawboard like the one OPJmade. You don't need to make a self clamping one, although that does look like a good idea. You never need to work out the offset of saw blade to edge of sole plate, just put the sawboard on the mark and cut and if you make it in a T-square format it will work well for squaring panels too.

Now to qualify as a proper apprentice all he has to do is learn to make tea and run errands! :lol:

Roy.

Coffee please!
(There's always one awkward sod isn't there.)

Roy.

Right fingers crossed... gluing up time :D

As I have no clamps big enough (another thing I need to add to my list) I had to improvise.

2367589540_541256e37d.jpg

2366754701_e4e326c110.jpg

Whilst I was taking the snaps I thought I'd throw in one of the hub of wood butchery too :lol:

2367589640_cea0d8268e.jpg

Apologies for the quality of the last pic, used my brick of a phone for those shots!!

Si

The clamp idea shows the inspiration that is a dedicated woody.

Roy.

Back