My first bird house

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WoodySteve

Established Member
Reaction score
my 1st attempt at a bird house. i thought i would try something different than small spindles.
its not perfect but ok to put in my bird aviary.

4jcy.jpg

Good idea Steve !

Is it hollowed from the bottom and then the bottom section used to plug it or a different approach ?

Cheers, Paul

paulm":2ikypjub said:
Good idea Steve !

Is it hollowed from the bottom and then the bottom section used to plug it or a different approach ?

Cheers, Paul

Cheers paul, i hollowed it from the bottom, but before i hollowed it i cut the bottom section off than hollowed it on the lathe, than i put the bottom back on using small tacks and glue to hold it.
the wood i used was a fence post 4" x 4" i had left over from a job so i made use of it and come up with the bird house :D

Regards
steve

I would be inclined to visit the RSPB site and see what they recommend for bird boxes. They have plans showing sizes and styles needed for different types of bird. I was surprised how fussy the little beggars seem to be.

phil.p":362edo5d said:
The fence post will have been treated - if you use it as a nest box, the chicks will probably die.

these posts where untreated, as i asked at the timber yard when i brought them for a job and was told that none of the post in the price range i brought had been treated. i never put it in my aviary in the end its still sitting in my workshop. i will wait till the wild birds start nesting next year and put it on the house wall for the blue ****.

Good it's untreated. As the last post, the RSPB site is good. The reason for certain sized holes isn't because the birds are fussy as much as that the nests don't get taken over by a slightly larger bird - it comes down to a mere couple of mil. If you want birds in the spring, the box should be out now - the birds investigate over a length of time.
Have a look at instructions on that site before you build more boxes - It's worthwhile.

What birds do you have in the aviary? Just curious as I used to keep birds myself, mainly Australian stuff, parakeets and a separate aviary with a variety of finches.

Back