My first attempt ..for a while

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Whitley

Established Member
Reaction score
Hopefully, I have uploaded a few pictures of my first attempt at turning for over a year. It's a bit crude by some of your standards, but it was done more as an excersise in chisel control and getting use to my new chuck, not to mention getting used to the higher speeds my lathe can now use.

2emon06.jpg

The base is a Spanish footballer :lol: and the cover is an old Australian fence post, by which I mean Goncalo Alves and Jarrah (I :oops: think) Overall height about 5"

:?: Er, why is it so big? Have I done something wrong? :oops:

Thanks mr. It is now resized.
Oh God I wish I was intelligent (homer) (hammer)

1ts 1600 x 1200 px you need to resize it prior to posting if you want it to appear smaller.

Cheers Mike

Hi Whitley,

Good job for an excersise in cutting/tool control. Really like the flowing lines and a nice sheen on the finish. :D

If I was to give any constuctive criticism it would be to try and make the "bulge" part of the body a little higher to lift the piece and make it appear a little lighter but a good job!

Keep up the good work,

Richard

Looks good :D
I like the way the top colour is picked out in the grain of the lower wood.
The top looks a little too heavy for me though.

I tend to agree with you Paul, about the top looking a bit too heavy. In defence though, it does look slightly less 'heavy' in the flesh.
The main reason why it is chunky is because my wife wanted a lidded pot and her hands are arthritic and it is easier for her to hold. I made a small trinket bowl in ebony for her last year which she dropped it :cry: breaking it.

Whitley wrote
The main reason why it is chunky is because my wife wanted a lidded pot and her hands are arthritic and it is easier for her to hold.
In that case then it's perfect :D

Back