My First attempt at segmented turning.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cowboy _Builder

Established Member
Reaction score
This Bowl and Lidded box are my first attempt at segmented turning ....The knob on the box needs a little more attention ,but overall they didn't come out to badly....They are made from AWO and Sapele off cuts that come a coffin maker, my friend gives it me for firewood .

Attachments

• Bowl and Box 002.jpg
    Bowl and Box 002.jpg
    95.6 KB · Views: 1,006
  • Bowl and Box 003.jpg
    Bowl and Box 003.jpg
    56.7 KB · Views: 1,006
  • Bowl and Box 004.jpg
    Bowl and Box 004.jpg
    84.4 KB · Views: 1,007
  • Bowl and Box 005.jpg
    Bowl and Box 005.jpg
    76.6 KB · Views: 1,006
  • Bowl and Box 007.jpg
    Bowl and Box 007.jpg
    65.2 KB · Views: 1,006
  • Bowl and Box 001.jpg
    Bowl and Box 001.jpg
    75.7 KB · Views: 1,006
look a lot of segments and angles for a first go, and that you got that part sorted.l

what are you using as a finish? whilst photos are always difficult to assess accurately there seems to be alsmost a different rection to the finish on the different segments as well as the lid knob you mention.

jumps":1bvmcame said:
look a lot of segments and angles for a first go, and that you got that part sorted.l

what are you using as a finish? whilst photos are always difficult to assess accurately there seems to be alsmost a different rection to the finish on the different segments as well as the lid knob you mention.
I watched a vidio on youtube and thought" i can do that" so i had a go , i don't have a disc sander so i stuck them in circles clamped with big jubblie clips and mounted them on the lathe to turn them flat .
I used sanding sealer and friction polish , mainly because thats all i have with me here in Spain .
On the knob on the lid the grain is very open and i didn't have my glasses on, so it looked alright at the time

I like the form and proportions of the lidded box. I admire your patience with all that cutting and sticking, but I have to say (and please don`t take offence) I don`t really see the point of doing it unless it produces a design or pattern, rather than a random effect.
Just my opinion.

Ian

Silverbirch":3cp4vzbr said:
I like the form and proportions of the lidded box. I admire your patience with all that cutting and sticking, but I have to say (and please don`t take offence) I don`t really see the point of doing it unless it produces a design or pattern, rather than a random effect.
Just my opinion.

Ian
Thanks for your comments Ian, no offence taken .....I value others opinions ....The middle ring on the box has alternate light and dark wood , poor camera work , ...patience and time i have in abundance (my wife was away for 3 weeks), but varietys of wood not so and once you get sorted for cutting it's supprisingly quick to cut the pieces..... but you're right the only benifit of this method is to attain a predetermind pattern or size .

Allan .

Back