My first attempt at Hollowing ...

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi Jenx

You are at the stage, and doing the sort of things I am, and would like to do. Not had your success so early - made a couple of vases - one spalted beech effort had so much soggy wood that even with sanding sealer I got disheartened with finishing it, but good practice with tools. Another two were "OK" - but not objects I want to keep. Except I'm not doing anything this fortnight, after getting a nasty knuckle-rap following which I had a bad reaction to an infection, hospital admission and loads of medication needed, and lots of my skin peeled off! Anyhow ...

The Sorby tool you mention I have also, and for smaller things I've found it seemed a useful tool - I like the curved section for shear scraping much better than using my "normal" square-section scrapers, and the stability of the flat surface when using a cutter seemed good also.

I was interested that Phil Irons, when demonstrating hollowing a few weeks ago in Yorkshire, was quite critical of a lot of Sorby products as gimmicky but had good things to say about this tool ... but not for big/deep projects. If he thinks its worth using, and you can get results like this on first outing, don't think you need rush down the slope to acquire lots more expensive tools ... yet! Maybe leave it a week ...

Latest posts

Back