My Favourite Christmas Gift(Not another neverending project)

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wrightclan

Established Member
Reaction score
No, not a present I was given. My favourite present I gave. :D

A dollshouse for my daughter. I only started it about a week before Christmas. I've been threatening to make one for a few years. I was painting it on Christmas Eve :roll:. Only one coat so far, and lots of work left to do. But I wanted to get it presentable for Christmas morning.

dollshouse.jpg

dollshouse2.jpg

dollshousedrawingroom.jpg

dollshousebathroom.jpg

dollshouseplayroom.jpg

Still to be done:

Folding front, windows, dormer windows, doors, architrave, skirting, stairs, bannisters, slates, chimney caps, chimney pots, fire surrounds, lighting. And that's all before I even think about making furniture(I think we'll most likely buy most of the furniture.) This could get as involved as renovating my own house.:roll: ](*,) SWMBO even has ideas of adding a conservatory. :shock:

Seriously though, this has been an enjoyable departure from what I usually do. And my daughter absolutely loves it. :D :D :D

To me this is what creating hand made gifts is all about - the pleasure in the making and the pleasure it gives to others. Don't forget to make allowances for the lighting cable runs.

Nice job - reminds me of when my daughter was about that age,and had a dolls house very like that - she used to collect Sylvanian Families,so the house was full of them (and most of the very comprehensive range of furniture they do for them as well)

Wish we still had it :(

Andrew

Great job.
Reminds me of when I spent the best part of 9 months of spare time making a rocking horse for the christmas my daughter was three. She sat on it for all of 10 seconds before saying

"It's too big I want to watch ET"

Forget any plans for finishing it. The look in your daughter's eyes tells me that gilding it with pure gold wouldn't make her any happier. That little girl is clearly very proud of her gift as it is, and her daddy has every right to share her pride.

Gill

Thanks for all the kind words everyone.

Gill,
Your sentiments are much appreciated. On one hand you're quite right. I'm sure she'll appreciate it, if I leave it just as it is.

On the other hand, finishing it is part of the journey. I hope she gets great enjoyment from it as she and her Mum collect bits for it and decorate it. And I hope she treasures it and passes it on to her own daughter someday (or a niece or some other special little girl). In the same way, I'll get great enjoyment from adding the bits of woodworking detail over time. I think the next bit will be slates, which I will set up for one of my sons to cut on his scrollsaw. :D

Brad

wrightclan":e1jyrplk said:
..snip.. I'll get great enjoyment from adding the bits of woodworking detail over time. ...snip..Brad

A few bits like this , This or even This could give someone in the household a different interest in wood along the way.

Well it's not always little girls that have a dolls house to furnish and presents to open on xmas morning.

DSCF0004a.JPG

I just thought, I should probably point out that I'm building this to plans from Brian Nickolls' book, Making Dolls' Houses. I don't normally(i.e. never) work from plans, but I've followed his plans pretty closely, so should give credit where credit is due.

Brad

Brad,

Thats looking good. :D That smile it wonderful.:)

I have made toys our grandchildren they love having things that are just for them.

I have not used them but iirc trend used to have a set of dolls house router cutters for making scale mouldings, could be worth a look around for them.

I'd better not let my 3 daughters see this thread!

Excellant job and one that should be cherished for many years and generations to come.

Andy

Back