My baby is all grown up now !

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ian down london way

Established Member
Reaction score
This weekend, an experience that is definitely one for the memory bank.

Being an avid woodworker, my kids (two daughters) have been handy with tools for many years years. Apparently being able to hammer a nail in straight is something not all 5 year olds can do, let alone use a screw driver 'straight'.

Anyway, my eldest, now 23, did Architecture at University, which has plenty of small scale modelling involved - lots and lots of hands on work needed. Her home experience helped compared to many of her peers, it appears not many schools provide much wood based experience - especially girls schools.

Anyway, all finished now, and she's pursing a career in financial services (go figure!) and is renting in London. Most rental places won't let you do much to them, but she and a fellow ex-architecture student have just started renting a run-down kind of place in the Angel Islington - and the landlord is happy for them to do any small scale stuff they want (its going to be stripped and re-modelled when they leave).

So, last weekend, I finally got to do the parental - "right - lets get you equipped with a comprehensive DIY toolkit".

IT WAS SO MUCH FUN!

Only down market stuff from B&Q, but having spent a good 30 minutes on jointly choosing a tool box not too large to be stored in their flat, we then went up and down all the tool isles and it was like a supermarket mad dash! Helped by persuading her that cheap mains drill with hammer action (£30 for 600W drill + £4 extra to get jig saw - all own brand) was fine for what she had to do (she saw my Makita rechargeable at £159 and wanted that).

I declared a budget, then of course blew it. Couldn't believe the cost of the mains / stud charger now (I'm sure I used to buy them for ~£10 - now they are £30 there I told the B&Q employee that we wouldn't get one, as I had a spare daughter anyway - I'm not sure if he was shocked (haha) or amused). Did get her a mains tester screw driver though.

So, apart from threatening to pull her shoulder out of its socket (SWMBO drove her to her flat rather than having to use public transport - the softy!) it was a great experience.

As was the phone calls later, asking about screw lengths to use with the rawl plugs for putting up shelves.

So, My baby is all grown up now !

(and apparently her flat mate was equally enjoying the 'look what I've got, lets lay everything out on the table and see what there is' experience when the got home).

:)

What a refreshing story. It's good to hear about young people taking work into their own hands. Architects ought to be practical but I reckon financial whizz kids will be happier if they are. (Well, everyone would, wouldn't they?)

Have you told her that Toolstation do free next day delivery if you spend £10 and Axi only charge a nominal £1? A useful option now that there are no toolshops left in nearby Shoreditch.

That's almost what I did for my 3.
Made a wooden box each, fitted out with mainly woodwork tools, some new, some ex-carboot, some from my kit. (I'm a cheapskate!)
Now I don't get "Dad...can I borrow..."
I get, what's this? How do you use it? Will it..?
All agree the box has been useful.

Bod

Bod" Now I don't get "Dad...can I borrow..." I get said:
You've obviously trained your's better than I did. I still get the "can I borrow", it's just that it's moved on to more expensive things. Like "can I borrow the trailer to collect muck for the garden", omitting to mention that for some reason, she's not had a towbar fitted to her car, so it's actually "can I borrow trailer AND your old Golf to use as a tractor".

And I do wonder why my Record pipebender seems now to have two 22mm formers but no 15mm one.............

Still, the tracksaw and MOF177 came back unscathed from their kitchen refit!

AndyT":3o89uob2 said:
What a refreshing story. It's good to hear about young people taking work into their own hands. Architects ought to be practical but I reckon financial whizz kids will be happier if they are. (Well, everyone would, wouldn't they?)

Have you told her that Toolstation do free next day delivery if you spend £10 and Axi only charge a nominal £1? A useful option now that there are no toolshops left in nearby Shoreditch.

Tyzak's is still there

Thanks Paddy - that's a bit further north than the area I was thinking of but a bit closer to Islington so useful to know.

Back