My advice Do Not buy CHARNWOOD P220 Router

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OLD

Established Member
Reaction score
The P220 would not hold a half inch bit to run straight and concentric all manipulation and adjustments failed, so charnwood posted a new collet and nut with the same result, so still not fit for purpose .Next move it was sent back to charnwood and after a number of phone calls the sales office said 'this is as good as it gets its only a DIY machine' and they will credit the purchase price , it also came out that the m/c would be put on the refurbished list for sale on the web site.
It took three weeks and a number of phone calls always me ringing them to get the credit. I found the whole experience rather upsetting and do not intend purchasing from them again.Makes me think what other products they sell are fit for there intended purpose.

Old

Seems you had a bad experience but don't tar all charnwood products with the same brush

I have a bandsaw, 12" disk sander, lathe and morticer from them and all are far more than fit for purpose. I know other memebrs who also rate their Charnwood purchases highly.
I rate Carnwood as good equipment for hobbiest (mostly it is the same kit as sold by Axminster in its Perform range) but don't expect Porter Cable quality if you aren't gonna spend that money

Can't appreciate the 'this is as good as it gets its only a DIY machine' comment in reponse to a complaint - a retailer that condescending to their customers doesn't deserve to be in business.

Kane

Tony
Just to clarify a router is a simple machine if you put a straight cutter in it and run it along a board then the cut will be at a right angle but on this router the centre line of the bit was to one side of the centre line of the motor so only one flute contacted the job also it was impossible to adjust the bit to cut at a right angle to the base . So after they had examined it why was it 'as good as it gets ' It was clearly incorrectly machined and will now be sold to someone else.

OLD":3jpmatvi said:
It was clearly incorrectly machined and will now be sold to someone else.

That's awful... Basically they are ignoring it is duff and are going to try to palm it off on some other mug?.

If it's off center like you say it is then it must shake like a biatch. My £30 Black and Decker router is pretty much rock solid and actually gives nice clean cuts and that's supposed to be "diy".

How much did you pay for your Charnwood?

Your post has made me think, have I been palmed off with someone else's reject. :(

effb4b23.jpg

Phil

OLD":2xptf21u said:
Tony
Just to clarify a router is a simple machine if you put a straight cutter in it and run it along a board then the cut will be at a right angle but on this router the centre line of the bit was to one side of the centre line of the motor so only one flute contacted the job also it was impossible to adjust the bit to cut at a right angle to the base . So after they had examined it why was it 'as good as it gets ' It was clearly incorrectly machined and will now be sold to someone else.

I absolutely agree with your sentiment that the router was rubbish and should be binned not palmed off to someone else and that the customer service you received stinks.

I only wanted to say that Charnwood are ususally a good company selling decent kit at a fair price and I am surprised at your treatment. One cannot write off an established and usually reputable company based upon one persons bad experience.

Hope you get a decent (safe) router soon

Neomorph
The router cost £59.99 and was to be used in a table with a lift but when fitted with the CMT extension the vibration was out of this world , a few rough edges and some adjustment i am happy to deal with but this was way off.

Tony
what i have written are personal opinions and actual facts so that others have that information to use in any buying decisions.
My final thoughts are that there sales and technical organization could do with some extra training.

Old

I seem to remember that other people have had problems with collet extensions - might be worth a forum search before buying another router and finding issues when the extension is used

Old
It would be sensible to check the forum for other posts on the extension you mention as there have been other users with the same problem, with more expensive routers than the Charnwood. You must realiase that the extension will magnify any errors and play that exsists at the collar.

I have two pieces of Charnwood kit which I and very pleased with, my thicknesser Identicle to an Axminster one, but cheaper, has worked hard for two years now, 3mm cuts oon oak, is not an unusual. My extractor has and still works well, on the one occasion I have had to complain about a broken component they posted one out the same day at no charge to me, without question.
You have by the sound of it had a rough ride, but I do nt feel that this is the norm, based upon my experience.

Bean

Bean
I fitted the extender to a makita router you could not see any movement when running and there was zero vibration, this was before it was fitted to the faulty router. I have a engineering background so i like to prove each step and i new it would come up when talking to charnwood.
I am glad you and others are happy with there tools if it had worked correctly i would have been to.

Latest posts

Back