Terms and Conditions for buying car tyres

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
In the early 70's I drove a low-loader transporting bull dozers etc in a very hot Pilbara Region (google it) of WA and got on average three punctures a day running tubed tyres. You couldn't handle them with bare hands they were that hot. I got so good at it I could swap a wheel out on the side of the road in nine minutes.
In 1980 I bought my own truck delivering concrete in the same region. This truck was running tubed tyres, the biggest problem was you'd pick up nails, screws on building sites which may not penetrate the tube but then you'd do a run of a enough miles to heat the tyres up and they'd start going off. As has been previously mentioned, when a tube punctures the tyre goes flat immediately. This is not as disasterous as it sounds (unless its a steerer) because a dual wheel has its companion to support it though I have been in the situation where one punctures, you don't notice, and its mate goes KABLOOEY!! from overwork. That would take more than nine minutes to rectify.
In the 90's we were making a good quid so we fitted the truck with tubeless rims and tyres (10 rims + tyres = $$$) instant happiness, my rate of punctures went down by 80%. What has to be borne in mind is that tyre technology had advanced massively in the years from the early 70's to the mid 90's and is still advancing. When we fitted the tubeless rims I also bought a plugging kit.
Some where along the line I became aware of advice that plugs were only a short term resolution and that the plugged tyre should have a internal flanged plug inserted in an authourised tyre shop ASAP. As far as I can recall I never had that done and believe it was an a#%e covering statement.

Cheers,
Geoff.

Latest posts

Back