My 1st attempt & made a shelf - LOL

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

toesy

Established Member
Reaction score
Today : my 1st attempt at what I call fine scrolling, think some may say fretwork... But lets see

Made this for my father-in-law, not finished, its cherry wood and a Keith Fenton Design via Sheila Landry.... Not sure what I should do to coat it, Danish Oil or Varnish............. any advice ?

Oh and I made a shelf for my niece, who is expecting her 1st...

Attachments

• Shelf Baby.jpg
    Shelf Baby.jpg
    105.5 KB · Views: 845
  • Gone Golfing.jpg
    Gone Golfing.jpg
    164.7 KB · Views: 845
If that is your first attempt I am going to give up! :shock:

Very decent work.

FWIW I like to call it Fretwork, even back in the 1890 when it became popular it was always referred to as fretwork in England.
The most prominent company involved in Fretwork in England The original Hobbies company of Dereham (founded in 1887) never ever called it scrollsawing.

Toesy , that is really very fine art work and you deserve great credit for it ,so you call it what you feel like it is .

Scrimper is as far as I can see right about the name . I always new it as fretwork back in the 1940s when I came across it .
At that time the first machine for fretwork I saw was a small Hobbies (i think ) one , worked on the principle of the singer sowing machine .
I believe the US folk changed to scroll saw when a motor was added to the foot peddle variety .I may be wrong as too the timing of this but
I would say I am right about (who dunnit) .

Whatever people wish to call this kind of work is of no consequence to me ,It is beautiful art to me .

PS Danish oil for me .

Thank you all for your replies,.

Just an update, I have painted the back board, and I decided to make it nice and bright.

I have also given it a couple coats of Danish Oil, and its a lovely product to work with. Now the Cherry Wood really stands out, well chuffed.

One thing I would give out as advice to anyone printing out plans, I reduced the plan by 25%, ie not the 100% you would normally print at. And after cutting this, I realised I also reduced the required cut width by 25%...

Great fun and I have really enjoyed this project, got some finishing to do this week before I present it to the father in law on Saturday.

Attachments

• GGUpload.jpg
    GGUpload.jpg
    203.4 KB · Views: 725
Great piece of work toesy and what a difference after you've applied that finish. It's well cut and has an overall very pleasing result. I'm sure your father-in-law will be very pleased with it . . . . he might even let you take his daughter out for a drink?

Good effort matey. Have you got the next project lined up?

Final update on this,

The backing board, which I painted Blue, Green and yellow (which is plywood) went to the edge on the back, but when I looked at the plaque from the front, lovely, from the sides NOT side good.

So I got some cheery wood, and cut 5mm x 5mm strips for the top, bottom and sides. Glued these in place and reduced the plywood backing board to fit.

I then decided to personalise the back and messed up using the rubber stamp letters I bought today,. This was the best mistake I have made to date, so I sanded down the printed letters, and hey presto - Now I have a retro look on the back, and you all now know my real name, the mrs and the kids....

The sides are not great - guess I have a lot to learn regarding "The Grain" but overall I'm happy.

Attachments

• GGFRear.jpg
    GGFRear.jpg
    232.3 KB · Views: 664
  • GGFSRL.jpg
    GGFSRL.jpg
    65.4 KB · Views: 664
  • GGFSTB.jpg
    GGFSTB.jpg
    48.8 KB · Views: 664
  • GGFfront.jpg
    GGFfront.jpg
    194.8 KB · Views: 664
Well, we never knew you were called Lissa :shock:

Good retro/distressed look to the back toesy and overall its a great effort and I'm sure he'll be pleased with it. Well done.

What's next?

Latest posts

Back