Some other bits I've made recently

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

will1983

Established Member
Reaction score
I thought I'd share some other things I've made recently.

First is a number plate for the house, the Mrs found these tiles whilst we were on holiday. I made a walnut frame with mitred corners reinforced with some ash splines. There is a 1/8" ply back let into a rebate behind. The tiles are held in with some rare earth magnets epoxied in place. This hides the screws holding it to the wall but allows me to remove it if I need to in future.
It is my first hand tool only projects (well almost-I used the table saw to rough cut the pieces off the main board) including straightening and squaring the rough stock. Finish is a couple of coats of tung oil followed by a few coats of spray lacquer.
1.jpeg

2.jpeg

3.jpeg

Next up is a small low angle rebate plane. I knocked this up out of an old chisel and a few scraps of beech I had left over from the bedroom furniture project I did last year. It's the first plane I've made and takes quite a bit of faffing about to get working right but when it does it cleans up the corners of rebates quite nicely. I had to make the wedge twice because I planed to much off the first one. The inlay is a nod to my Instagram account, it is just some walnut dowels I made set into corresponding holes. Finished with tung oil and a bit of wax.
4.jpeg

5.jpeg

6.jpeg

7.jpeg

Lastly is a little box I made last weekend, whilst working on the bandsaw (shameless plug!!) the Mrs came into the workshop, she has bought her friend a necklace for her birthday and wanted a little box to give it to her in. So we had a rout through the offcut pile and came up with a few bits of sapele and what I think is mahogany. It is made in the usual way, mitred sides with the raised top and bottom panels set into grooves and then the top cut off once it is glued up. 2mm thick pieces glued to the inside hold the lid on for a French fit. Finish is Danish oil and a bit of black bison wax. The Mrs is over the moon so I think her friend will like it.
8.jpeg

9.jpeg

10.jpeg

Well that's it for now, I hope you all like it.

Attachments

• 1.jpeg
    1.jpeg
    219 KB · Views: 786
  • 2.jpeg
    2.jpeg
    219.9 KB · Views: 786
  • 3.jpeg
    3.jpeg
    223 KB · Views: 786
  • 4.jpeg
    4.jpeg
    235.1 KB · Views: 786
  • 5.jpeg
    5.jpeg
    226.9 KB · Views: 786
  • 6.jpeg
    6.jpeg
    228.5 KB · Views: 786
  • 7.jpeg
    7.jpeg
  • 8.jpeg
    8.jpeg
    226.2 KB · Views: 786
  • 9.jpeg
    9.jpeg
  • 10.jpeg
    10.jpeg
    236.6 KB · Views: 786
Pretty little rebate plane, but does it work? It looks like the shavings would get a bit bunged up above the blade. Are you going to make a guide for it?

MikeG.":2cv3adsb said:
Pretty little rebate plane, but does it work? It looks like the shavings would get a bit bunged up above the blade. Are you going to make a guide for it?

Cheers DTR. I was delivered to it's new owner today and she is over the moon!

Mike: I'm not going to make a guide I only use it for little clean up tasks after I have removed the bulk of material with the table saw.

The shavings do get a little bunged up so I plan to cut a relief route out to the top of the plane but I've not got round to it yet. It's only a prototype after all so that's just another little problem to solve.

thetyreman":20iyz1jg said:
love the frame on the number plate, mitres look very tight!

Cheers mate, I'm more pleased with myself for doing almost all of it with hand tools!

Back