my 1000th post! : wooden planes

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

adidat

I will not buy anymore tools...
Reaction score
so i realise 1000 posts is not a new thing e.g. alf wizer and rob. but for me it is, i have never got this involved on a forum.

so instead of a massive booze up to celebrate, i thought i would share a package i received with you horrible lot. :lol:

a nice mixture of 11 different moulding planes

P1020139.jpg

4 nice nurse ones

P1020145.jpg

P1020146.jpg

2 mathieson ones

P1020148.jpg

P1020149.jpg

a mixed bunch of 3

P1020151.jpg

the more awake members will have realised that 3+2+4 only equals 10 the last one is a nice boxwood slip small half round mould, mark m.jacobs could that be a maker?? :duno:

now my first wooden plough plane a very clean example but with no makers marks that i can find, it does have a circular warranted mark. it seems quite recently to have had the arm wedges butchered slightly.

P1020168.jpg

P1020167.jpg

check out the wedges!
P1020166.jpg

a miss match of blades some duplicates #-o

P1020169.jpg

1,2,3 no 4 :cry: 5 and 6 by mathieson

P1020170.jpg

sorby and john bull

P1020171-1.jpg

and lastly a nice square and mortice gauge in ebony

P1020147.jpg

dont wont to be too gloaty but what with rob and wood monkey being gloating so and so's i did only pay £25 for this box of joy! (hammer) (hammer) (hammer)

enjoy

adidat

edit 1: any info e.g. dates of these planes gratefully accepted

edit 2: i realise there is 12 planes in total

Congratulations on your millennium post my dear friend...and every one a delight too!

Those Nurse ones post date the Maidstone factory from whence the rampant horse comes..(Kent)...I will have a look in my book tomorrow.

Great selection...a stamp collection par excellence!

I particularly love the plough...they are great working tools....

Cheers

Jim

Now if it had been 1000 wooden planes... ;)

M Jacobs sounds like an owner to me; certainly none listed in BPMs 3rd Edition. Said book gives Nurse at 182-182 between 1887-1908. John Miller was a Newcastle maker and the Clayton Street address is given dates of 1855-1875. Moseley & Hawksworth seems to be yet another incarnation of that convoluted and lengthy line of John Moseley marks. BPMs sez 1805-1807 and likely beyond (but unknown for certain). C Padley looks likely to be another owner.

Shame somebody didn't understand the concept of a captured wedge on the plough, but you can't have everything. Although that lot for £25 is close. :mrgreen:

Very nice indeed! Good purchase - car boot or auction?

I believe un-named ploughs are reasonably common - they were a basic widely used tool, so merchants would offer them in various options at different 'price points' - so one marked "Warranted" was one step up from the most basic. The arm wedges are really easy to make and could be regarded almost as a consumable item. But the fence looks unwarped, and you have a good selection of irons.

They all look like good usable planes to me - I'm sure you will enjoy them.

Thanks for your help with dateing hard to believe i have a 200+ year plus plane.

Adidat

Latest posts

Back