Musically Beyond The Pale

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The Trans-Siberian Orchestra pulled off a bit of a coup with Carol of the Bells, but have you heard anything else they've done? Not nearly so good in my opinion, which is a suprise given that they are famous for being the only band never to play a venue that isn't a stadium. Anyway, in case you missed it, https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=4vNcGlM8O3I, but I wouldn't recommend anything else that they have done.

I have never heard of The Only Ones - will have a look, and I, too have Mott The Hoople on my MP3 players more by luck than judgement. It came along with some Mountain, and Credence Clearwater Revival for that redneck, hillbilly backwater feel.

No one has mentioned Morrissey yet. I utterly failed to see the point in either him or The Cure, or much of the 80s, for that matter. Thank God rave turned up and saved us all from coma-bound girlfriends.

Phil Pascoe":2vx9g6tu said:
No one has mentioned Morrissey yet.

and long may it last.

lol I can't stand him, people worship him in Manchester and it gets very irritating.

Trainee neophyte":33xcjman said:
...or much of the 80s, for that matter. Thank God rave turned up...

Are you insane, sir? If you are casting aspersions on the New Romantic movement then I am afraid we shall never be friends.

That would work":2e9baucw said:
Possibly the worst piped muzak in existence.

Piped music - Ah, thinking of a different sort of piped. Bagpipes. Sometimes mistaken for a musical instrument, whereas they are in fact a weapon of war like the Celtic Carnyx, intended to make the enemy run for their lives.

Actually, this is quite unlike me. I used to love "world music" - now it seems there is no need for a world music category, as streaming services like Spotify are international, so "world music" is just "music" with a less restrictive definition. My annual summary from Spotify said I listen to musicians from 30-40 different countries - can't count them all myself but pleasuring my ears on Spotify as I type is Vas, In the Garden of Souls, with Iranian singer Azam Ali.

Phil Pascoe":t5v35npi said:
No one has mentioned Morrissey yet.

and long may it last.
I suspect he was a bit of a comedian. In How Soon Is Now? The Smiths gave him music which Jim Morrison would have killed for and look at the lyrics Morrissey put to it!

Phlebas":ennik7tu said:
Trainee neophyte":ennik7tu said:

Are you insane, sir? If you are casting aspersions on the New Romantic movement then I am afraid we shall never be friends.

I always thought of the New Romantics as a late 70s thing, and I certainly wouldn't put most of it in the "beyond the pale" category, although Marilyn? https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=CfH2pCanQOw

The 80s brought us Millie Vanilli, Jive Bunny and Wham with a !
And Madonna. And all that hair metal. Michael Bolton, ffs!. The 80s was where music went to die. I seem to remember Cliff Richard was at the top of his game in the 80s. Watch the LiveAid video to remember just how awful it was.

It's just possible I may have been traumatized by the 80s music scene, perhaps irreparably. I am truly sorry if that means we can't be friends. I hope you can forgive me.

Trainee neophyte":29nt0b6h said:
Phlebas":29nt0b6h said:
Trainee neophyte":29nt0b6h said:

I always thought of the New Romantics as a late 70s thing, and I certainly wouldn't put most of it in the "beyond the pale" category, although Marilyn? https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=CfH2pCanQOw

The 80s brought us Millie Vanilli, Jive Bunny and Wham with a !
And Madonna. And all that hair metal. Michael Bolton, ffs!. The 80s was where music went to die. I seem to remember Cliff Richard was at the top of his game in the 80s. Watch the LiveAid video to remember just how awful it was.

It's just possible I may have been traumatized by the 80s music scene, perhaps irreparably. I am truly sorry if that means we can't be friends. I hope you can forgive me.

Forgive? Certainly. Forget? Well...

You can by all means argue New Romanticism started earlier than the 80s. Nomenclature, timing all with hindsight. I'd realistically say it started in '78-9. But apotheosis in '80-82, posssibly '83.

I saw most of them live as and when I was in the UK.

And I wholly agree with you about Milli Vanilli, Bolton, hair metal (altough I have a fondness for Europe, Final Countdown - long story)and Cliff Richard.

But Madge (at least early stuff) and Wham! C'mon. Camp at its best. If my memory serves me correctly I think I've seen Madonna four times live.

And I turned down tickets to Live Aid too.

I think I might just have recorded something that qualifies as "beyond the pale" - a Merle Haggard country music standard, sung by an English bloke in the wrong accent, using the wrong kinds of banjo and guitar.

But it was fun doing it, and I can confirm that a banjo is one of the most effective social distancing technologies around.

Mama Tried (YouTube)

Phlebas":ciklmho4 said:
Forgive? Certainly. Forget? Well...

You can by all means argue New Romanticism started earlier than the 80s. Nomenclature, timing all with hindsight. I'd realistically say it started in '78-9. But apotheosis in '80-82, posssibly '83.

I saw most of them live as and when I was in the UK.

And I wholly agree with you about Milli Vanilli, Bolton, hair metal (altough I have a fondness for Europe, Final Countdown - long story)and Cliff Richard.

But Madge (at least early stuff) and Wham! C'mon. Camp at its best. If my memory serves me correctly I think I've seen Madonna four times live.

And I turned down tickets to Live Aid too.

I was busy painting my bedroom black and descending into to the madness of 1970s psychedelic prog-rock at the time, so I loathed Madonna on principle. Still do, to be fair. A fondness for Cliff Richard is not helping your cause. "Wired for sound"...
giphy.gif

The mention of Wham is an interesting one. Total tripe as Wham but George Michael turned out to be a very gifted musician (although a troubled soul). I heard Frank Skinner talking about him doing Somebody to Love with Queen and looked it up on You Tube - I would recommend watching the performance and the rehearsal if you’ve not seen them - and look out for David Bowie and see what you think he is thinking!

Blackswanwood":o65e2yfx said:
The mention of Wham is an interesting one. Total tripe as Wham but George Michael turned out to be a very gifted musician (although a troubled soul). I heard Frank Skinner talking about him doing Somebody to Love with Queen and looked it up on You Tube - I would recommend watching the performance and the rehearsal if you’ve not seen them - and look out for David Bowie and see what you think he is thinking!
If you are refering to the Freddy benefit thing, I remember thinking at the time that George Michael and Lisa Stanfield were the only two who could actually manage Freddy's range. Everyone else mangled their covers.

Edit: whatever happened to Lisa Stanfield?

Trainee neophyte":18qjg3xm said:
A fondness for Cliff Richard is not helping your cause. "Wired for sound"...

If you look at the positioning of parentheses if my comment you will see that my fondness is purely for Final Countdown. Cliff is lumped in with the other meretricious inadequates, deserving only of contempt. And rightly so, the wrinkly old god-botherer.

Latest posts

Back