Museum display cases

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

attie

Reaction score
I have been asked to make several cases for displaying photographs, clothes and other items.

Does anyone have any experience of making these?

They need to be 4' x 5' and 4" deep.

I have thought about using oak for the cases, with dovetailed corners and then a rebate to mount 6 mm non reflective glass with a oak bead screwed onto the case so that items can be added later. I would use 4mm plywood for the backing with pinboard covered in green baize attached to it so that items can be attached.

Advice readily accepted.

Thanks

Attie

I would avoid oak as the tannins in the wood may affect the exhibits, I know that it can react with the lead content of old model solidier.

Also nonreflective glass tends to diffuse the object as soon as it is moved away from the surface, having worked part time in a picture framers for many years we always advised against its use with a mount which only moves it 1.5mm from the picture. Even straight onto the artwork we would only suggest it when the item was going to be hung in direct sunlight.

Jason

Have made display cases for The Ashmolean in Oxford we used Meranti (pseudo Mahogany) not sure if it's the same as Jason said but we used something called Museum glass.
5 foot by 4 foot seems like a large area of glass for a case like that, make sure it's sealed as well as possible it's amazing what creepy crawlies you get in those places

Dom

Thanks for the posts, good advice indeed. I will abandon the use of non-reflective glass and will see if i can find meranti.

Regards

Attie

Back