Multico Planer - New addition to the family

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

deanflyer

Established Member
Reaction score
Just this moment acquired this Multico planer:-

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll? ... fe=sidebar

Does anyone know much about them, this is the biggest bit of machinery i've bought to date, and would welcome any feedback or advice on using it.

It comes with a tenoning attachment, is this safe to use, or should I just remove it?

The guy has been pretty honest and has said it's not planing well, im assuming the blades need resharpening. Anyone suggest where I can get this done? There are spare sets with it so dont mind sending them off for a while.

Also - how many people am I going to need to get this in the back of a transit?

Dean

Hi Dean,

I have a multico, I don't think it is the same model but not that much different. I don't have the tenoning attachment, but the machine has the mounting points for one.
Compared to the Wadkins its a relatively light weight bit of kit but you will still need 3 or 4 of you to get it in to the van, unless you have a tail lift. Take the tenoning attachment off before you move it or you stand a good chance of straining it. You should lift from the base of the machine, not the tables. Take some heavy weight leather gloves with you as the edges can cut your hands badly.

I am very pleased with my machine, nice long cast iron tables and a good solid fence. I only have one set of knives which I am working up to sharpening, I bought the Tormek jig but have not set it up yet, I was going to buy a second set so there is no pressure to turn the regrind round on the same day.

If you find your nearest technical college that runs a woodworking course, the workshop technician will be able to help you. He'll almost certainly have sharpening equipment in house (which he might be persuaded to use on your blades) or he'll be able to point you to a local sharpener.

Looks like a nice machine, I'm sure it'll give you years of good use. :)

I'd forget about the tenonning table though, a sure way to take the edge of the knives faster and they were banned by the HSE years ago for good reasons!

As for blade sharpening, I use Dragon Saws (Google it), where I also get my bandsaw blades. :wink:

Hi i have the same machine and it is a good solid piece of kit. Seems prices have risen as i paid £50 for mine of ebay a couple of years ago. It seems from the pictures there are some pieces missing. There should be a guard for the front which covers the motor and just clips into place and they usually have some extension rollers on the table ends to give an extra 10 inch or so support each end of the table. If you havent picked it up yet it might be worth asking if the seller has these bits.

jon

Jon,

Are you sure its the same machine, Multico made a small range of these that at a quick glance look the same but small details are different. Not all of them had the rollers but I think they all had side panels to stop the motor getting buried in shavings, this one looks like its lost one of them.

If you look at the ebay pictures the end of the tables are drilled to take the rollers so i presumed they had been removed.

jon

Thanks for that. Ill ask the guy when im down collecting it at the weekend.

Are the blades a pipper to fit? I saw a post a while ago about a magnetic blade tool that helps with install?

Thanks, Dean

I have the 6" version but I imagine it will be similar. The blades are relatively easy to change. They are held in place by a couple of wedged blocks. To remove the blocks take out the allen screws and use two of them in the threaded holes to jack out the blocks. If they are two tight to jack out tighten the allen screws and then tap them lightly, hey presto.Adjusting the blades iis easy enough, slots in the blades are used with cam type screws

JonnyD":azwpnpzq said:
If you look at the ebay pictures the end of the tables are drilled to take the rollers so i presumed they had been removed.
Jon,

Your quite right having gone bad and looked more closely at the pictures. :oops:

My machine in an L3 and the ends of the tables are plain, no holes at all. :?

Back