mt2 too long

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

amazilia

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi, I have a Fox mini lathe with mt2 tapers at head and tailstock. I also have several drill type chucks from Proops but the actual taper is too long at the headstock end. At the tailstock winding out the quill solves it. Can I simply hacksaw off a bit for the headstock end, and if so is it soft enough to do that? Or am I missing something ?
Regards Terry

Hi

Yes, the morse taper should be soft enough to be cut with a hacksaw.

A word of warning for when you are using a morse taper attachment at the headstock - unless you have a hollow headstock and can secure the taper with a draw bar, (a threaded bar which passes through the headstock spindle and threads into the taper).

Only use for the lightest of work or support the work with the tailstock, failure to do so will probably result in the taper losing it's grip and migrating out of the headstock.

Regards Mick

On these cold nights hacksawing is a very good way to keep warm !! It is mostly for drilling in pen blanks.
Regards Terry

Hi Terry

I've just ordered a Jet which is very similar and on a very recent post I was advised that these were a good idea. probably not solve your problems but I have a numer of MT1 accessories so will work for me

The only niggle I have with my little Jet is that the MT socket in the headstock is too shallow to take tanged MTs so I use a MT carrier on my chuck but otherwise it's great.
Jon

Having upgraded my lathe I have a number of tanged 1MT drives & centres which won't fit the normal MT1 to MT2 adaptor. However I found a cheap solution in MT1 to MT2 sleeves from Arc Euro Trade,

- http://www.arceurotrade.co.uk/Catalogue ... rs-Sleeves

I used a number of MT1 - MT2 adaptor sleeves when I upgraded and these were all too long for the bore on my Maxi, I ground the ends off on the coarse wheel of the grinder, less exercise but more time for turning!

I think this might be a common problem on more modern mini/midi lathes. The Axminster AT1416VS lathe our club bought last January suffers from the same problem - the MT2 tapers on both head and tailstock are too short for various MT2 items to fit. Luckily I have an MT2 jacobs chuck with short arbor & drawbar which does fit, but the standard MT2 jacobs chuck which fits our other lathes would need the tang removing to shorten it. More annoyingly we also have a number of odd MT2 drive centres which are also slightly too long to fit.

I thought that the MT tapers were meant to be a standard - in length as well as the slope of the actual taper. Obviously not, or is it just that we are now working with a different, Chinese, standard? :-(

if it is not drilled right through the headstock how do you intend to remove it without bending the arbor, just a thought

Back