Mr Venty ECO2 wall filters.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

John Brown

Freeloading Social media influenza
Reaction score
My wife has a local rental property, and the tenant is saying that the filters need replacing on the "Mr Venty ECO2 wall" Positive Input Ventilation unit.
He's apparently experiencing high level of condensation, which PIV is supposed to counteract (and did, in our home).
I suspect that the real cause is that he's turned the heating down to a minimum, and been keeping doors closed, as the property has no gas, and is heated by electric night storage heaters, which must be eye-wateringly expensive to run when the temperature drops, as it did recently. However, I get to do some of the "handyman" jobs in the property, and so I'm trying to find a source of replacement filters. I've tried calling Environment, who I believe manufacture the units, but they just promise to call me back, and then don't, so I wondered if anyone here had any insight or experience.

He shouldn't need to open windows, the PIV unit is supposed to gently push the warm, moisture laden air out through trickle vents/keyholes etc. I don't want to demonize the tenant, I sympathize with him. I just want to find some replacement filters.
Incidentally, the Envirovent stuff seems to be crazily expensive, at around 1k. Whereas the Nuaire unit I fitted was under 300.

A search of that unit found a maintenance manual that said there are conical filters in the duct that should be cleaned every 24 to 36 months, by vacuuming out or washing by hand. If the filters are not shot you should be able to clean them up and put them back in again. I have no idea where you could buy new ones except from the manufactures distributors.

https://www.manualslib.com/manual/1251360/Envirovent-Venty-Eco2-Air.html?page=8#manual
Pete

A search of that unit found a maintenance manual that said there are conical filters in the duct that should be cleaned every 24 to 36 months, by vacuuming out or washing by hand. If the filters are not shot you should be able to clean them up and put them back in again. I have no idea where you could buy new ones except from the manufactures distributors.

https://www.manualslib.com/manual/1251360/Envirovent-Venty-Eco2-Air.html?page=8#manual
Pete
Thanks, Pete. I doubt they've ever been cleaned since 2014, when it was installed, apparently. I'll take a look at that manual, and keep trying with the manufacturers.
The tenant is a bit visitor averse, so I like to have as much info as possible beforehand.

I think that installation manual only covers the loft mount units. This one goes straight through the external wall. I think I need to get a closer look at it.

I suppose if you want to keep the house from getting mouldy getting the renter a dehumidifier might be a good temporary measure, assuming they can be trusted to dump the condensate regularly and or rebate them a little off of the heating bill while it is very cold so they keep the place warmer.

Pete

I suppose if you want to keep the house from getting mouldy getting the renter a dehumidifier might be a good temporary measure, assuming they can be trusted to dump the condensate regularly and or rebate them a little off of the heating bill while it is very cold so they keep the place warmer.

Pete
First idea is a good one, second, not so much. The price of electricity over here is such that the rent would hardly cover it.

If it's a domestic wall-insert unit, then the filter assembly should be easily accessible on the front.
They are usually designed to unclip for cleaning....... ordinarily he should be able to do it himself.

However, if it has had no attention for 8 years it will all be a bit rancid (that is if the filter is still in one piece). 'Rancid' in this case means mask up and use gloves when you touch it.
More importantly, there will be a cross-flow heat-exchange unit inside. You should hope that this is not also bunged up........ I have seen a mighty crop of mushrooms in some cases!

With a realistic hat on, it may be easier to measure it up for a new one and sling it.

If it's a domestic wall-insert unit, then the filter assembly should be easily accessible on the front.
They are usually designed to unclip for cleaning....... ordinarily he should be able to do it himself.

However, if it has had no attention for 8 years it will all be a bit rancid (that is if the filter is still in one piece). 'Rancid' in this case means mask up and use gloves when you touch it.
More importantly, there will be a cross-flow heat-exchange unit inside. You should hope that this is not also bunged up........ I have seen a mighty crop of mushrooms in some cases!

With a realistic hat on, it may be easier to measure it up for a new one and sling it.
Thanks. I'm only guessing that it's had no attention. My wife has owned the property less than a year. If it does have a heat exchanger, that would explain the higher price, but I don't recall reading anything about heat recovery when I was trying to find replacement filters. As I said, I need to take a closer look. Too much of what I know is hearsay.

Pretty certain it's purely PIV - no heat recovery, so no heat exchanger. Hoping to get a closer look tomorrow.
Still can't find any documentaion apart from User guide, which has almost zero useful info. I do have a source for new filters, now, however.

For what it's worth, a Mr. Venty absolutely transformed my friends 1950s solid walled masionette. Previously it was blighted with mould which appeared almost overnight. I helped him seal all the airbricks, and trim doors to allow air movement between rooms, as recommended by the installer, and apart from a few spots in the bathroom silicone it's been moulded free ever since.

For what it's worth, a Mr. Venty absolutely transformed my friends 1950s solid walled masionette. Previously it was blighted with mould which appeared almost overnight. I helped him seal all the airbricks, and trim doors to allow air movement between rooms, as recommended by the installer, and apart from a few spots in the bathroom silicone it's been moulded free ever since.
Thanks. Do you happen to remember anything about the filters and how to access them? I'm sure it'll be obvious, but I hate being unprepared, and looking like a rank amateur (even though I am one).

Thanks. Do you happen to remember anything about the filters and how to access them? I'm sure it'll be obvious, but I hate being unprepared, and looking like a rank amateur (even though I am one).
I'm already a convert to PIV, by the way. Fitted just before Christmas and transformed our home.

I'm afraid I've never looked at the filters, though judging by info further up the thread I probably should. If I get to it before you I'll let you know how it pans out!

Well, one you unscrew the sides, the front and too and bottom come away as a U shape. The filter is vertical, and slides out. Didn't look too bad, to be honest, but only about half width A4 size, nothing like the two giant bags on the Nuaire loft unit. I can't see how Envirovent have the cheek to ask £45 plus VAT for a new filter...

Back