Moving workshop

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MikeH

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi all
Soon moving from Devon to Cheshire. Have to move contents of my workshop plus lots of garden plants in pots. Any ideas on cheapest way? Getting some crazy prices from removers.

I moved my workshop from Hampshire to Bucks by hiring a 7.5t lorry and moving myself. Can't remember how much it cost (about £100 for the hire + fuel). I assume you can drive a 7.5t lorry on your licence. Only thing I didn't move was my Bridgeport mill as I was quoted 100's to move that alone as I persuaded the removal guys to take care of that. The removers wished they hadn't agreed. They told me they had moved loads of pianos!!

We moved an entire garden, workshop and house earlier this year. LOML was fortunate to have an excellent relationship with a Dutch grower who supplied her with heavy duty gardening crates at cost price. They are very strong and stack well.....provided your plants are below the crate height. Fortunately for her many of her plants were dormant.

For the workshop I bought a load of plastic crates with lids from cheap retail estate outlets like Poundland and put the contents of drawers etc into those. I'm still trying to find half of my stuff though as we're undertaking a major house renovation and there simply aren't enough hours in the day. I usually find it's easier to buy another one on eBay. Currently trying to locate my leather hole punching tool as the drain cock on the Akvaterm is of a type not seen these days.

The larger machines were sold due to limited power at the new place.

Mike, welcome to Cheshire, second only to Yorkshire!

I'd call a few lorry transport companies and get a back load (depending on how much stuff you've got) I've used Farrall's transport on occassions when I've needed machines moving / picking up.

We've recently moved and I was going to go down the DIY route but by the time I costed in the hire, fuel and time it was actually cheaper for the removal company to strain their backs not mine!

There was also the benefit of of full insurance.

In all honesty the 'removal' of the hassle factor was well worth it.

I packed most of my stuff in the crates Tesco use for home delivery. Also make a nice storage solution when you get to the new place (if anyone from Tesco is reading this I have not got 20 of your crates, - honest!).

Thanks for the responses all. Time is running out now and I need a no hassle approach as time is v limited. Looks like I will probably just have to shell out for it.

Back