Moving to the US of A

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Lons":351jp86k said:
We have 3 weeks starting with an overnight in Las Vegas then drive the route Zion, Bryce Canyon, Lake Powell, Monument Valley, Grand Canyon and back to Vegas for a couple of nights before going the othe direction to San Francisco via a few nights in the Yosemites.
Have you been looking at our itinerary!? We're planning to go back in late August/September this year, but will follow a slightly different route.

Four years ago we drove through Death Valley - 140 degrees is quite an experience!

Mark

9fingers":2k71m5x9 said:
Greengrass":2k71m5x9 said:
Why wouldn't they work?

Are you seriously saying you don't know why there might be a problem?? :shock:

Bob
Yes that's what I am saying.

Seems pretty obvious to contact makita and buy a new charger?.... Surely a battery is a battery wherever it is....just a different electrical input to charge it up.

http://www.makitauk.com/index.asp?menu_id=100

Have you been looking at our itinerary!? We're planning to go back in late August/September this year, but will follow a slightly different route.
Four years ago we drove through Death Valley - 140 degrees is quite an experience! Mark

:shock: :shock: If I tell my wife it's 140 deg she'll have a fit.!

Guess instead of slobbing about today, I should be doing some research :lol:

We fly out on 14th September and though I don't like the flying bit much (boring) it's relatively short haul compared to New Zealand :) I think out of all of it I'm looking forward to the Yosemites and San Francisco most. Wasn't going to bother with Vegas but everyone we sope to said we'd be stupid not to experience it.

Might see you there - I'll stick a NUFC flag on the car :lol: :lol:

Bob

Lons":3c4pulfr said:
We have 3 weeks starting with an overnight in Las Vegas then drive the route Zion, Bryce Canyon, Lake Powell, Monument Valley, Grand Canyon and back to Vegas for a couple of nights before going the othe direction to San Francisco via a few nights in the Yosemites.

cheers
Bob

If you're going to do Monument Valley, you could go south from there and visit the Indian ruins at Canyon de Chelley, and then continue down to the Petrified Forest, which is just off of I-40. Keep going west on I-40 back to Flagstaff and you'll pass Meteor Crater, too, which is only a couple of miles south of the highway. (Quick joke: What did the blonde say when she visited Meteor Crater? "Wow, they were lucky! That thing almost hit the interstate!"). I haven't been to Canyon de Chelley, but the Petrified Forest is great (especially for woodworkers :)), and Meteor Crater is very good, too. From Flagstaff you can do the south rim of the Grand Canyon, which has much more to see than the north rim (or so I'm told).

Kirk

When we went to Yosemite, the first snows had fallen but sadly the waterfalls were running dry, so had to imagine them from the posters dotted around.
We also drove from SF south to LA via the Big Sur which is the wrong way as the sun is always in your eyes!
SF is great but did not like LA - vast sprawling mass with no real centre and a nightmare tangle of highways.
Really enjoyed the rest of the trip though.

Rod

kirkpoore1":1s5xo69d said:
If you're going to do Monument Valley, you could go south from there and visit the Indian ruins at Canyon de Chelley, and then continue down to the Petrified Forest, which is just off of I-40. Keep going west on I-40 back to Flagstaff and you'll pass Meteor Crater, too, which is only a couple of miles south of the highway. (Quick joke: What did the blonde say when she visited Meteor Crater? "Wow, they were lucky! That thing almost hit the interstate!"). I haven't been to Canyon de Chelley, but the Petrified Forest is great (especially for woodworkers :)), and Meteor Crater is very good, too. From Flagstaff you can do the south rim of the Grand Canyon, which has much more to see than the north rim (or so I'm told). Kirk

Thanks Kirk

I'll need to get some maps out but we'll certainly consider your suggestions - much appreciated

When we went to Yosemite, the first snows had fallen but sadly the waterfalls were running dry, so had to imagine them from the posters dotted around.
We also drove from SF south to LA via the Big Sur which is the wrong way as the sun is always in your eyes! SF is great but did not like LA - vast sprawling mass with no real centre and a nightmare tangle of highways. Really enjoyed the rest of the trip though. Rod

Looks as though the waterfalls will be dry for us as well which is a shame as I love waterfalls but like most people, we're tied to dates because of work.
We wrote off LA very quickly for exactly the reasons you give. Doesn't appeal to us one little bit. Now... San Fran looks so quirky it'll be a hoot to see. We have 3 1/2 days there which probably isn't enough.

Bob

Greengrass":2cx3kthq said:
If I tell my wife it's 140 deg she'll have a fit.!
Don't show her this then!
Death Valley Sign.JPG

We'll be going to San Francisco too. Last time we went to LA and took a tour round Hollywood and Beverly Hills, though I don't particularly like admiring other people's wealth. Staying on the Queen Mary was good though!

Attachments

• Death Valley Sign.JPG
    Death Valley Sign.JPG
    56.6 KB · Views: 28
I went over twenty years ago; got stopped by police [under threat of arrest] in Yosemite for no snow chains. Had to wait for cousin Cletus to turn up so I could buy them at $75.
Went to Death Valley, it rained!

OP

If you are moving out there for a while and like a cuppa then I would seriously put a kettle in your luggage. Had some friends move there years ago and it took them months to find one! Then all you have to get used to is it taking an age to boil (hammer)

H.

thanks for the advice, without my tea i'll just shrivel up and die over there, I'm heading over in a couple of weeks for a quick look around so I'll make sure I check the kettle situation.

sounds like I need to have a trip up to see this petrified forest and meteor crater too, you don't get many of those in Leeds :)

Back