Moving to the US of A

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dddd

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi wonder if anyone can help me, I've had a dig about on the search here and I can't find anything related, i'm moving out to the states soon with work and was just wondering if I can take my makita (10.8V and 18V) cordless drills and drivers out there with me?

I suppose the questions are; will they work at all, could I just use an adapter plug on my existing charger or would it need me to buy new chargers when I'm out there.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Regards

Neill

Greengrass":77nlctk3 said:
Why wouldn't they work?

Are you seriously saying you don't know why there might be a problem?? :shock:

OP

Check on the chargers themselves. Some now use switchmode power supplies and can cover an input range from 100-250v
Also that type will not care about the frequency difference.

Bob

Just looked at my Makita, lithium/nicad charger.

220-240Volt 50-60 Hz. Most modern properties in USA would have 220 ish power available I would have thought.

I was under the impression that the US was on a 110V supply.

dddd":1t0fd1io said:

Some properties I have visited in USA had basically a 3phase supply.
110 being the normal domestic supply but 208 being available for large loads such as cookers and workshop tools.

I guess you need to ask the question of someone in the area you are moving to.
Alternate for small loads like your chargers is a step up transformer.

dddd":2km1hoik said:

Bugga.......... I hope not. :shock:

We're going on holiday in September and I need to charge iphones, camera, computer etc.

Have to do some research now :?

Bob

Lons":32t08bdu said:
dddd":32t08bdu said:

We're going on holiday in September and I need to charge iphones, camera, computer etc.

Bob

Power outlets in hotel rooms and guest houses will only be 110v
You need to check your chargers Bob

t'other Bob

Lons":3npq8xom said:

Bob

Are you hireing a Car, last time I was there I managed to top everything up from the 12V adaptors.

I've just checked the charger that came with my Iphone and that will accept 100 -250volts so if yours is the same, you will just need an adapter to fit US sockets.
My laptop charger (Dell) is similarly rated.

Bob

CHJ":w87iq7g5 said:
Just looked at my Makita, lithium/nicad charger.

220-240Volt 50-60 Hz. Most modern properties in USA would have 220 ish power available I would have thought.

Yes, but....

Houses will all have 240v single phase coming in. Most will have a 240V outlet or two, for ovens and electric clothes dryers, but beyond that it will depend on whether a previous owner has installed the outlet. I've got lots of them, but I installed them myself or had an electrician do it. It isn't hard to do (if your electrical panel is near where you want the outlet, anyway), and generally doesn't require a permit, but if you're renting the house you'll need permission from the owner.

Typical apartments won't have 240V. You'll have to ask the landlord when you're looking for a place to live. If they have a garage for parking, or have a laundry room, they may have 240V available.

Stuff that uses a USB cable can often be recharged through the cable. Takes longer, of course. And as Bob stated, a lot of chargers will take a wide voltage range.

Kirk

Power outlets in hotel rooms and guest houses will only be 110v You need to check your chargers Bob. t'other Bob

Thanks Bob - I'll do that - never crossed my mind about the voltage. Always been ok in other parts of the world #-o

Are you hireing a Car, last time I was there I managed to top everything up from the 12V adaptors.

Yes CHJ, we have a car for all but the last 3 days in San Francisco. I have a cig lighter to usb converter but do the US cars have std cig lighters?

My appologies to Neill for hijacking his thread :oops:

Bob

Neill, Where are you moving to in the US? A good travel adapter will help for domestic 110V for US, Canada and Mexico but don't know of such for 220v. Our 220v female outlets are most likely of a different configuration than those in the UK in any event.

Harbo":2fzht1on said:
Cig lighters are the same as UK ones. Rod

Cheers Rod - that'll do for me. Hate to be stuck in Death Valley with a flat iphone :shock: :lol:

Just checked the laptop psu and it's 100 - 240 vlt so an adapter will solve that one.

Bob

All the electrical stuff we have used in America has worked OK - Sat Nav, phones, Camcorder, Cameras, portable DVD Player etc. Just need the relevant travel plug adapters, though quite a few things I have bought have come with a 2 pin power lead so I take these instead?
We "did " Death Valley a few years ago on late October - lots of signs telling you to switch off your cars Air Con to stop engines over heating! Be careful with your iPhone! :)

Rod

Wow thanks for all the replies guys really appriciate it.

@Dennyom, I'm moving to Chandler Arizona (hot, hot, hot), I'm heading over there fore a visit in a couple of weeks so I'll ask some questions when I'm there.

@laptop/iphone users, I've never had any issues with charging these kind of things, when I go with work we always take a couple of UK 3 gang extension cables with US adaptors too so we can charge/run multiple devices from it. Very handy if you're in a meeting room over there with 1 socket and 3 people each with a UK laptop each :)

thanks again all.

Thanks Rod

Wacha mean? :?
Harbo":1yjdncz1 said:
Be careful with your iPhone! :) Rod

We're looking forward to the hol as it should be very different to our previous South Africa, OZ and NZ trips. Never really fancied the USA personally but wife wanted to go. (hammer)

We have 3 weeks starting with an overnight in Las Vegas then drive the route Zion, Bryce Canyon, Lake Powell, Monument Valley, Grand Canyon and back to Vegas for a couple of nights before going the othe direction to San Francisco via a few nights in the Yosemites.

Have booked flights, car hire and first / last hotels but nothing in between yet so any recommendations would be much appreciated.

cheers
Bob

I meant the iPhone overheating your car!! :)

We stayed mainly using Best Western Hotels they booked ahead for us at each stop - but that was a few years ago?
Fantastic places you are going to - you will certainly enjoy it.

Rod

Back