Moving Machinery & Steps

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MooreToolsPlease

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi all,
In a week or so I will be collecting a metalworking powered hacksaw.
It's going in the shed, but to get it there it needs to go down 12 steps, through the house, and down another 12 steps.
Is there any methods that I can use to negotiate the steps?
I don't have an exact weight, but 2 people wont be able lift it, mechinaical assistance will be needed.
Also, the machine can't be broken down at all.

Thanks

Matt

Doesnt sound good, Is there any alternative way of getting to the shed, ie using a small crane over a back fence or anything as I dont think something that takes 3+ people to lift is going to go to well all through the house and down 24 steps.

There are various step-climbing powered lifting trolley things available from the likes of HSS, but it doesn't sound like much fun.

going down is easy :p :lol:

sorry ...

coat ....

door ...

ok ... seriously now ,,, hand winches are cheap and slide it down the steps.
if the 1st set of steps is near the road you can atach it to a towing point on your car/van and ease it down. or a rope and pully and people ... etc etc

as for the flat bits - thats easy... a few boards to roll it on and some suitable pipe.

Here is a photo of the saw I'm purchasing,
SAW%2520Q%26S%2520No6IMG_1117.jpg

Thanks for the help so far

haha ! good luck :)

have you checked it will fit through your doorways / hallways etc any tight corners to go round ?

how much does it weigh ?

my way should still work - but you will have to go steady as it might be prone to topple.

steel conduit should do the trick for the rollers .

make sure at the bottome of the step it goes onto a board that is ontop of rollers that are on top of boards - else you will get stuck at the bottom !

I don't know the exact weight as it is currently sitting in a school.
The dimensions though are 700 x 450 in plan, so it isn't too big to get through doors.

I wouldn't muck about. That looks very heavy. Drop it and it's all over.

I think I have seen heavier duty version of this:

70493.jpg

but a quick google fails me.

But look at the expression on that kids face! He seems to be a little concerned.

Dave

A board on wheels is brilliant for moving heavy things (and the best thing you can do with IKEA furniture, I kept the base of one of their TV units).

I'm in agreement with Tusses on the stairs, a controlled slide, (pulleys, block and tackle etc..) whereby the machine goes down on a long board.

Something like an engine crane would be perfect for lifting it on and off the various transport mechanisms, but if you can't borrow one, think levers. An A Frame can be used to lift most things (depending on access space) and long levers used in a see-saw way can apply a large lift force, albeit with a small height range.

MooreToolsPlease":2m0p7qbn said:
Hi all,
In a week or so I will be collecting a metalworking powered hacksaw.
It's going in the shed, but to get it there it needs to go down 12 steps, through the house, and down another 12 steps.
Is there any methods that I can use to negotiate the steps?
I don't have an exact weight, but 2 people wont be able lift it, mechinaical assistance will be needed.
Also, the machine can't be broken down at all.

Thanks

Matt

You might want to try the metal working guys(*) (home machinists, model engineers, stationary engine enthusiasts)

I suspect they have "previous" in this area.

BugBear

(*) and gals, although I suspect the demographic is quite male

You should be abl eto get that into three pieces quite easily, it will come off the base and the top arm pivots on the upper of the two pins.

If in bits then a sack barrow with the tripple stair climding wheels should do it.

I moves three stone balls weighing 78kg each earlier this week including down some steps, just modified my cheap sack barrow to hold the stones and did it myself without problems (one at a time!)

Are you also into metalworking?

Jason

Thanks for all the help guys,
I'm picking it up on Tuesday with a few other guys who are getting lathes from the same school.
Jason, I'm just starting in the metal working world, I've been posting on home model engine machinist for a while now after you put me on to them.
I'm picking up my lathe and miller next week also, going to a busy week :D

MooreToolsPlease":3ep306ot said:
Thanks for all the help guys,
I'm picking it up on Tuesday with a few other guys who are getting lathes from the same school.

Where is the school? As that looks just like the power hacksaw we had.

As to getting it up steps, I would make a sled and put scaffold boards down on the steps. Grease them up, then use a winch / come-alongs / lorry straps to winch it up the slope. Several person job, with ratchet straps as security. Egyptian style ;)

Assuming you have something sturdy enough to hook the straps to at the top.

As Jason says these break up quite easily.

I would not contemplate moving it in one piece, assuming you don't drop it, then the move (as is) will pipper up summat sure as eggs is chicken's embryos.

Breaking it down into 3 will be much much easier,
What tools will am I likely to need to dismantle it?
Are there likely to be any specific nuts or bolts?

Back