Moving hot water tank or new boiler.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dedee

Established Member
Reaction score
I'm contemplating removing an airing cupboard in order to make more space in the twin's bedroom and am trying to weigh up the pros and cons or either:-

a) moving the hot water tank into the loft

or

b) getting rid of the hot water tank altogether and getting a new combi condensing boiler and a sealed system.

My only experience with a combi boiler is from about 15 years ago in a rented house. Running a hot bath took ages as an increase in the flow rate at the tap resulted in tepid water. Have things improved?

We live in a single bathroom house so simultaneous demands on hot water are minimal. The washing machine and dishwasher are cold water fed.

Any comments or experiences with either option much appreciated.

Andy

i'd recomend a combi, I was dubious about them at first, but mine has been brilliant since I had it installed.

We've had one in our current house, and our previous house. Absolutely fine. In both cases the shower was run from them, and guests would always comment on the nice shower with plenty of flow (no pumps or anything). Filling the bath was a little slower in the last house, but fine in this one - I think its a bigger boiler.

Adam

If your current boiler for the central heating is OK then why not have a separate boiler for your hot water.

We have that system in our house and it works fine. Might be a cheaper way of solving your problem.

Les

If you get a combi get a higher spec one with a high flow rate some of the ones with lower output do take ages to fill a bath. I'm just about to replace mine but will probably wait until the new year.

I'm interested in what brand of boiler everyone thinks are good. I have had Worcester Bosch before but in 5 years needed new pump and thermocouple so not sure if it was the norm or bad luck.

had a Worcester Bosch for about 3yrs and its been fine

I would say make sure you get one that will perform well - my brother has a combi and reckons he's never been able to have a hot bath :( When I replaced my boiler I went for an ordinary one :wink:

Paul

Thanks for the replies guys.

Existing boiler is approx 20 years old and probably quite inefficient so replacement is probably due anyway.

It is this flow rate business that makes be hesitate to go down the combi route. Although for the kids a very hot bath is not necessary both LOML and I enjoy a good soak and the thought of waiting (how long?) for the bath to fill is not pleasing. On the other hand getting a more powerful shower without a pump is attractive.

Just need to find a good plumber and get some more advise on which makes/models to go for.

Andy

All the research I did before I replaced my boiler convinced me that combi boilers were introduced mainly for use in flats or the very small houses that they tend to build nowadays, where space is at a premium, rather than because they work well. I got so much conflicting advice from plumbers and other people that I ended up researching the subject on the internet and worked it out for myself :wink:

Paul

We have a combi boiler - a couple of things annoy me about it: a bath takes an age to run; if you're running a bath there's little (if any) flow left for doing washing up and if you just want a little hot water (for a nappy change say), you have to run the hot tap for maybe 30s+ - waste of water.
It was in the house when we moved in so not sure if it's just an underpowered one. Also our shower is electric - so we miss the advantage of running it off the boiler. Apparently the previous owners wanted to be able to shower even if the boiler packer in!
Cheers
Gidon

gidon":2rpnpdig said:
We have a combi boiler - a couple of things annoy me about it: a bath takes an age to run; if you're running a bath there's little (if any) flow left for doing washing up and if you just want a little hot water (for a nappy change say), you have to run the hot tap for maybe 30s+ - waste of water.
It was in the house when we moved in so not sure if it's just an underpowered one. Also our shower is electric - so we miss the advantage of running it off the boiler. Apparently the previous owners wanted to be able to shower even if the boiler packer in!
Cheers
Gidon

Hi All,

When you look at your next boiler, you can get one that is like having two boilers in one so you dont have the problem with running a bath and some thing else at the same time.

I know you can get them as I know some one that is a gas fitter and he fitted one in a kitchen for his friend that I was fitting :)

dedee":3076x1h7 said:
Thanks for the replies guys.

Existing boiler is approx 20 years old and probably quite inefficient so replacement is probably due anyway.

Not necessarily so. I thought my old oil fired boiler was inefficient...words of wisdon from other sites suggested efficiency would be down in the mid 50% and a good combi-condenser is promoted at 90% plus IIRC. With the price of oil I thought long and hard about upgrading.

Then I got the boiler maintenance man in. Pre-burner tweaks, the efficiency was surprisingly high at about 75% IIRC. Post-tweaks it went up to the high 80's..so you see, efficiency difference is not that great. Made all the cost benefit equations go right out the window!! Old boiler still going strong.

Or you could go the whole hog and get one of those combined heating/electricity generating ones :D

Does anyone have any experience of an oil fired combi?

I am looking to replace electric storage heaters in our holiday "shack". It's miles away from a gas main so oil is the only viable option.

All the fibre board has been stripped off the stud partional walls so now is a great time to get central heating in and sort out the electrical re-wiring.

It has a small footprint not much bigger than a large flat and by the time the new roof has gone on and I have insulated all the walls it should be pretty snug. Bathroom and kitchen are adjancent so there in theory there should be no massivly long pipe runs for hot tap water. We are shower people generally, but have a bath for cleaning kids/dogs :lol: is pretty handy!

Any suggestions on make would also be appreciated.

Cheers

Ed

Have just ordered a new central heating system. We had four quotes and all of them recommended against the combi,don't know if they are more difficult to fit but as I understand it ,pressure is better you don't need an immersion heater or water tank but filling baths takes longer.
One chap also mentined that you need a certain amount of water pressure.
But hten I know little about central heating so only have their word to go on.

I personally am for combi boilers.

Before Sheela and I where married, I lived on my own, I then had a combi boiler. That boiler gave me continuous instant hot water 24 hours a day. The bath filling situation was a bit slower than when I had a water tank, but not much. I was far more happier with the combi boiler.

We now live with a tank system, and I think it's rubbish. I quite often have lukewarm washes in the morning. The water flow rate in this house is low, (all stop puffins wide open). To run a bath in this house takes longer than my old place. When we save enough money we are going to have a combi boiler. The biggest problem is finding a reliable corgi plumber.

Just my experience you understand. Good luck to all of you seeking hot water and warm homes.

Latest posts

Back