Mouse freezing in XP

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

John McM

Established Member
Reaction score
I leave my computer on all the time, just turn the screen off. Next morning when I go to use it, the mouse has frozen. Occassionally it freezes during use. The only way to get it back has been to reboot. Ctrl+alt+del or the windows button doesn't work when it has frozen. I have replaced the ps2 mouse with a usb mouse, still the same. I have removed the drivers and let it find new ones on boot up. Still the same. I have the Kaspersky suit 2009, Spybot and Windows Defender but to no avail. Totally stumped. Anyone have any other ideas?
Cheers

The last time I had mouse problems I updated the video drivers and it went away. Worth looking as part of an elimination process.

Alan

On a personal note I am not happy to leave my system on overnight. A few suggestions on things that you may care to check:

1. Have you tried booting system in safe mode and leaving overnight?
If it does not lock up then it is likely you have a software or driver problem.
If it is locked up then likely you have a hardware problem. At least it will give you a starting point to work from.

2. Do you have a screensaver enabled if so set to no screensaver and see if this makes a difference.

3. What power options /savings do you have set in Power Option Properties in Control Panel?

4. Have you had a look in the Event Viewer after lock up. Control Panel / Administrative Tools / Event Viewer. Locate any event warning etc when it locked up a and click on help and support url - may have a fix.

Thanks for the replies chaps. I'll have a go at the safe mode thing tonight. I had a good stare at the event log but could not see anything obvious. I forgot to say I tried updated video drivers. Screensaver is disabled, no hibernation. Computers, don't you just love em!!

I have just had a similar problem, it turned out to be the ps/2 unit. the keyboard plugged into the same unit that was why ctl alt delete didn't work. cost me a new motherboard

Back