mounting plates and chucks

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

crazylilting

Established Member
Reaction score
I was looking at several of the tutorials on boxes and looking for a chuck for my little jubilee lathe...

Who would of thought it would be so difficult to find something.

The chucks look like they need to be mounted on a plate.

Then the plates look like they also need a screw to mount it to the thread on the head stock.

Do i have that right?

If so, how do i measure the tpi and size of the thread on my lathe and where is the best source to find the items needed to get me going making some of those great little boxes?

thanks in advance

Here are some of the standard thread forms encountered from the Axminster catalogue.
You need to measure the diameter across the threads (3)
Then count the number of thread crests (points) in an inch, or in the case of metric threads the distance between crests.

AxminsterThreads.jpg

Not all chucks have a separate back plate, those that do are usually the higher spec ones, most have the threads directly in the backplane or have an adaptor collar/sleeve screwed into the backplane to cater for differing fits.

Wow thanks for that. Brilliant. There were several chuck looking items that came with my lathe. One is just the body without anything in it, there is no names or identifying make on it so i was just going to put it aside for now. The other one has a similar body and in the center is a screw. I can't think of much use for it but i guess as i learn i'll figure it out.

The supernova 2 looks like a good one. but again the challenge is getting a plate for it. I suppose i could just get one made, it doesn't look like rocket science now does it. I've seen some blank ones that you get drilled and tapped i suppose to match your chuck but non with the right thread configuration.

It seems odd to me as the jubilee was such a popular lathe for such a long time. thousands of these things are about.

Sounds like one of the items you have is a Screw Chuck similar to this,
sub_cat_axwoodscrewchucks.jpg

A very versatile item for starting off turning rough blanks whilst turning chuck spigots trueing up etc.

Just drill suitable pilot hole in the wood blank and screw it on.

Chucks like the supanova should fit directly on your spindle, or have an adaptor sleeve to fit it, they do not have a separate back plate.

CL, this is a pic of my chucks and the some of the jaws I have that go with them,
Maybe you can recognise some of the "bits" you have, from these.
The two chucks I have are a Precision chuck from Axminster and a Multistar.

No i don't see mine in there but the two are sitting on the lathe in the picture. They are not good close ups but you can see the shape of them. The one is completely empty, looks like you can get parts to go into it as it unscrews. Next time i'm at the shop i'll take a picture of it.

lathe.jpg

Nice set of chucks though. I was drooling over them earlier. I clicked on a picture and it took me to your photo bucket so i had a bit of a sneak peek at your work and your pics nice.

The one further from the headstock is pretty definitely a 6-in-one chuck as made by Hattersley and Davidson for Coronet in the dark ages. Bits for the Coronet/Craft supplies Precision Combination will probably fit it. Can't see enough to identify the other. But it's a gorgeous lathe!

Thanks but not so gorgeous yet. The motor is shot and needs a lot of TLC. I'm looking at getting a mini max that looks brilliant though. Depends on how high the bids go. I wanted to get a graduate but were a little out of my price range. I only wanted it originally to turn Windsor and shaker legs for chairs. But now that i've been looking at what can be done with a lathe i think i may have found an obsession worth throwing some money at. In Canada i had a Delta lathe that i built a long bed out of wood and mounted it to my work bench to turn the shaker legs and made a jig for the table saw to turn dowels with a bit and brace. being poor is always a good way to be inventive but being working poor doesn't lend much time to be innovative.

Thanks for the info on the chucks i'll have a look to see what i can get for them and if it's worth it.

Back