Mouldy MDF shelving in shed

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LittleEars

Established Member
Reaction score
PXL_20221127_151033994.jpg

Just spotted this in the shed. All the MDF boards have got mould.

Can I recover them? Is there any point?

It's self evident that my shed has a moisture problem, if I replace the wood, what do you guys recommend pls?

Fix the moisture source before even thinking about replacement. Such a moisture laden location will be no good for storing anything wood or metal.

needs more ventilation + airflow , you should be able to get rid of it with mould spray, but you need to look at what's causing it.

Last edited:
Is this MDF or chipboard, which is generally supplied with those sectional metal shelf units?

Interesting. I've seen quite a few reviews for the chipboard shelves which complain of mould, and several suppliers recommend varnish on the shelves to avoid this. Looks like it's the environment of a shed, rather than the specific material.

Use to have the same problem years ago damp air in cellar so replaced all shelves but painted liberally with yacht varnish before fitting never had the problem again I think its the formaldehyde that promotes mould

Use to have the same problem years ago damp air in cellar so replaced all shelves but painted liberally with yacht varnish before fitting never had the problem again I think its the formaldehyde that promotes mould
Did you use MDF or something else?

I always think mdf is an odd choice for these shelves, any I've had I paint or varnish to seal, and some I've put a reinforcing batten screwed onto the underside.

That mould looks like it has been growing for some time:unsure:
I was actually thinking the opposite, the edges of the board are all crisp and no visable bowing / warping so I was thinking the mould has come one thick and fast, but is all sitting on the surface, so should be treatable, dry out and seal and the shelves should be salvagable.

The problem of a damp environment with no airflow still remains of course

I was actually thinking the opposite, the edges of the board are all crisp and no visable bowing / warping so I was thinking the mould has come one thick and fast, but is all sitting on the surface, so should be treatable, dry out and seal and the shelves should be salvagable.

The problem of a damp environment with no airflow still remains of course
I think it's appeared in the last few days. Was in the shed last week, nothing noticed then.

Just went and wiped a load off. It's flawless underneath. Going to take tomorrow afternoon off from work, bleach it all down, dry it off and then use yacht varnish on it. Thanks for your help!

Just went and wiped a load off. It's flawless underneath. Going to take tomorrow afternoon off from work, bleach it all down, dry it off and then use yacht varnish on it. Thanks for your help!
Hope I'm not confusing this with something else but here goes. Careful of inhaling the spores in the mould. The mould might be wet now, keeping airborne spores under control. Mould may survive on your cloth when it dries and become airborne when you shake it.

Mdf and chipboard are just compost waiting to sprout mushrooms. Yatch varnish will help as will addional ventilation and fixing any leaks in the roof. If there is any likely hood of dampness either use treated timber (decking makes a fair bench top or, if you can swing it past the significant other and afford the mortgage, use marine ply - the thicker the better and use yatch varnish for good measure.

an affordable option might be laminate flooring, hardwearing and I'm assuming fairly moisture resistant, also it is often available for free as people buy a pack too much for a job, or rip up a floor to fit in with a new kitchen. I got a load on freecycle a while ago and i've found it useful for all sorts, though it is tough on blades so worth using an old saw

an affordable option might be laminate flooring, hardwearing and I'm assuming fairly moisture resistant, also it is often available for free as people buy a pack too much for a job, or rip up a floor to fit in with a new kitchen. I got a load on freecycle a while ago and i've found it useful for all sorts, though it is tough on blades so worth using an old saw
Speaking from experience I once left some lam flooring in cellar and it grew mould pretty rapid worst one was bamboo it grew within a week , I got rid of most of the problem when I installed a wood burning stove using the old washing copper flue that was still in cellar . Now we have moved and workshop will be in garage I will have to see what transpires this winter

Hi Littleears, aside from getting to the route of your damp problem, I would recommend getting an Ozone generator. There about £30 from ebay or other online reatailers. If the machine is left on for a few hours with the door closed or preferably over night most of the airborn spores will be killed off. That leaves you with either bleach or my preferece is to use neet hydrogen peroxide, the later musch safer to work with as it breaks down to water and no harmful fumes to breath in. Sadly the strongest you can buy is 12% online but works almost as well as bleach. Unless you heat your shed or run a compressorless dehumifier the problem will most likely re-occur in the winter months. A cost effective rust prevention is probably wax-oil, something any good automotive shop should have in stock. I sprayed all my steel tools with this when I went away for a couple of months and found it worth its weight in gold, works great on the car too!

Latest posts

Back