Motice Jig (Small Project)

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ByronBlack

Established Member
Reaction score
Ok, I thought I'd post a quick thread about a mortice jig that i've made, maybe it would be helpful to others how I approached this:

What you need:

- Threaded Inserts M6
- Male M6 Knobs
- 25mm Stock
- 6mm Acrylic

I got most of my inserts and knobs from my dad, the acrylic was bought on ebay for about £7 and the 25mm stock was from Maranti off-cuts.

The acrylic came in the size that I wanted for the final jig so I didn't need to cut this down so I moved straight onto the opening. I've routed this out to accept my Triton routers 21mm guide bush plate, luckily I had an appropriate sized straight cutter to cut the aperture.

I then used the 25mm stock to make some battens that stretched the width of the board plus a little extra (40mm on each side). I then cut some 60mm blocks from the same 25mm stock and cut a 6mm rebate to allow the acrylic to slide through the rebate.

I drilled a pair of 9mm holes 70mm in from the edge of each batten to accept the threaded inserts, these are just screwed into the hole with an appropriate sized hex key. The male knobs then scewed into the inserts, and when the threaded rod pokes through it pushes the surface of the acrylic against the overhang of the under-block thus keeping it in place. When loosened, the batten can move freely up and down the acrylic plate to give you the exact distance you need to create any size mortice.

I will be making some additional parts to this jig, for example, i'll be adding a mechanism underneath the jig that will allow it to clamp the stock in place and will allow the jig to move to a set distance either side to make a mortice wider than the router-bit.

Here are the pics:

425679491_a8cd9d4c4f.jpg

425679371_18857a723f.jpg

425679248_9bbe6a19fa.jpg

425678793_cc65df2626.jpg
[/quote]

Byron
Jig looks very good and the information very helpful as I really need to make a similar jig (or even a blatant copy!!) It will be interesting to see your future modifications and the jig in action.

Cheers
Tony

Back