Most structurally sound material - breakage resistance?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

anaminal

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi all, I'm back with another project (and more questions...)

Objective:
I'll be cutting some objects out of wood for sports equipment (probably about 8mm thick - tho this spec is changeable within a few mm if needed). These will then be getting bashed about quite a lot! and I want them to last as is physically possible.

I want to know which material has the best resistance to breakage? I've been using oak, but remember reading somewhere that plywood is a better material as the inherent weaknesses along grain are re-enforced by the next sheet's opposing grain direction.

Questions:
is plywood better than boards of oak when working with around 8mm thickness.
is there something better than ply?
which type of ply would you use?
or -
if I'm totally wrong on this point, should I just continue using Oak?

In advance - many thanks,
Chris

Solid wood is stronger than ply in one direction but only in that direction.
If it a straight thing solid wood is best with the grain aligned along the longest side.

12mm Birch ply is a good thing to use.

What are you making? it would help to know.

Pete

Sorry, doing this through my phone so can't post a link... Google 'Wooden Kama' they're for my Martial Arts club. You can get em online but the quality varies so I wanna try make a more durable version

Oak, or probably ash would be stronger in those dimensions. If the length is about 8" they can't be more than about 1 1/4" - 1 1/2" wide - ply isn't very strong at that width.

My opinion of course. I don't know the exact purpose.

Oak/ash shaft and oak/ash or ply blade pegged and glued together.

Pete

Well, I suppose the best way would be to make some samples and put em in for destructive testing!

I'll give ply, oak and ash a go... are we agreed on 'birch plywood', are there any alternatives ply forms I could add to the test list?

To coin a phrase from a Clint Eastwood movie just after he had battered a guy with a piece of wood: "You can't beat a good piece of Hickory" :lol:

Ply is prone to splintering, and unless you use Lloyds approved stuff (which costs a bomb) you're always worried about voids (even with best quality baltic birch). You really don't want someone to lose an eye and for you be to be liable because of faulty materials.

Knot free, straight grained ash or white oak seems your best bet, thinking about cost and UK availability.

Latest posts

Back