mortice gauges

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Reggie

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi all, I pwomise I'm not obsessing, got a faithfull mortice gauge delivered, took it out of the box and the thing looks a bit wonky, I can't logically see there being an issue as long as the stock face is flat, even if the stock is out in 2 axis.

Anyone care to comment?

Reggie":2np4sbem said:
Hi all, I pwomise I'm not obsessing, got a faithfull mortice gauge delivered, took it out of the box and the thing looks a bit wonky, I can't logically see there being an issue as long as the stock face is flat, even if the stock is out in 2 axis.

Anyone care to comment?

Probably badly made.

It'll probably "get the job done".

Anything beyond that is a matter of what makes you happy.

BugBear

Probably will get the job done but all the same would be nice to have a straight one considering that is what you paid for and are entitled to expect.

In what direction is the wonk Reggie?

As long as the pins contact the work equally, the problem's just an aesthetic one, but it would bug the hell out of me every time I saw it if it was mine. If you're trying to do proper work it's unfortunate to be surrounded by things that aren't.

Hello Reggie,

I took a quick look at the faithful offering and it looked OK. Apart from the wonkeyness the only thing that bugs me is I'm used to the screw adjustment rather than the slide. Therefore I have just ordered a Joseph Marples version....... If the Faithful version had a screw adjuster I would of gone for it. I have a faithful cutting gauge and I'm pleased with it. I think faithful have some good value products, perhaps they would exchange it for you?

Hi Guys, the direction of wonk, with the knurled knob facing right, with the label side facing you there is a slope from left to right going up of about 5deg by eye, and then with the knurled knob facing you it slopes down from left to right by about 5deg again. It's aesthetically jarring but if it's not going to give me issues where I have to remember a special incantation and sacrifice a jelly baby for consistency then I'll probably be ok with it.

ugh, having examined it some more, it actually does look like the whole process fails, it's my first mortise gauge, so clearly I have no clue yet but is the stock face supposed to be perpendicular to the face you're marking? If so then butting that face flat against the work piece makes it so that only 1 pin can make contact with the surface. I'm anticipating answers of 'dig the marking tips in deeper' and 'it's all in the technique' :D

Less expensive gauges tend to be very badly made.

I get my students to tune up very cheap ones. i.e. virtually rebuild.

To answer your question, it is important that one of those axes is square. Horizontal shaft to vertical face. Come to think of it the other one is important too if you are going to tilt the stock, which I'm sure you are.

The forward long edge of the shaft acts as a fulcrum about which the stock is tilted for shallow, medium or deeper marks.

I feel that dodgey tools should be sent back far more often.
best wishes,
David

If only one pin makes contact when the side of the head is against a square piece of work, you've got a dud.

Adjustable mortise gauges are relatively fiddly and expensive to make. If you only use one size of chisel you don't need the adjustment. Adapt a boot fair common gauge by drilling and adding a second pin at the right location. (You can correct the exact width a bit by filing round pins to a flatter knife shaped profile. )

Reggie

Like Andy says you have a "dud". I would be inclined to return it and ask for a refund/replacement

Thanks guys, Looks like it's going back then :) Looks like this thread isn't going to to turn into a spaghetti monster too, huzzah.

My new(er) mortice guage is by Joseph Marples, and the stock and stem are nicely square to one another. It had three minor problems, all very easily solved. First, the marking spurs were not quite the same length; two minutes with a fine file cured that. Second, the screw adjuster was very stiff. That was cured by carefully easing the spring washer holding the adjuster screw away from it's mating face with a small screwdriver - just a smidgeon, until the screw turns freely without endshake. Finally, it came fitted with a single marking point opposite the twin mortice points, on which I snagged my thumb a time or two; catch it in a pair of pliers and take it out. A tiny spot of oil on the screw, and the whole tool works as well as a vintage one, now.

Joseph Marples are not cheap, but I reckon they're worth it. Either that, or a good vintage ebony-and-brass one.

s'right ... I bided my time and eventually pounced on this one.

I think it is worth paying for a good'un. This one is absolutely solid. square and accurately adjustable.

we'll see, I really just wanted a gauge, I'm happy with not having thumbscrew adjust for the spurs, but square on the important bits shouldn't be too much to ask, should it? I accept some caveats on cheap gear, no thumb adjuster, random wood but fit for purpose shouldn't be one of them.

Latest posts

Back