Mortgage rates / interest etc

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I must have missed that while i was looking for mortgage advice 🤣

i most likely will
if nothing else i can sell it again if it doesn't get enough use.... and it'll go nicely with a 2 ton tracked dumper i bought off ebay 😆🤣
Where is the mortgage advice. Is that an idea for a thread.

Buy an excavator that is no wider or you can pull the tracks into the same width as the tracked dumper then you can get through the same gates, inside buildings etc.

Hmmm.
Ok, help me out here.
Are we better off now than 'in the old days' ?
Can we get realistic comparisons of income vs house prices?
These days there a million things aimed at us ( in terms of things to buy, phones, internet, computers / games machines , coffee machines, and just about anything you can think of, which makes you feel 'poor' because you font have all this stuff!
Take for example, im terrible with my money. At the moment i feel like i have to own a mini digger ( for work ) and 1 happens to have popped up round the corner ( literally ) at a good price. I'll almost certainly make it happen 🤣
Do i REALLY need it? Yes and no. I can hire one ( like renting a house ) but if i buy one, it'll pay for itself after a while and it'll still be worth what i paid in a couple of years..... whereas hiring it is lost money. On my current job ive paid nearly 2k on digger hire, whereas if id bought a cheap one, It'd have paid a 1/3 of its value back already.

To be fair, i dont go to the pub, we dont get takeaways very often ( 5 or 6 times a year )

If I think of two tradies in union jobs in the US (this is possible) living together and living like my grandparents did, they'd have twice as much money as they needed - at least - and probably a more content lifestyle than most americans and most english folks.

I puzzled over it as a kid that my grandparents worked hard longer than they really had to - as a kid, this seems stupid. i get it now. They never got to the point where they spent money foolishly and had "town food" about once a week their entire lives.

The difference now is if you were poor even when I was a kid and it was of your own dumb mistakes, and you wasted your money with no eye on getting into a better situation, people called you a fool.

if you are middle class (I am middle class) and stingy, people call you a loser now. It's as if your spending determines your status, at least as long as you can keep it up, along with a plastic smile to go with it.

"oh, you ride the bus to work? I couldn't do that".

yeah, you could. I could afford to drive and park. It saves me about $3k a year in a same comparison scenario to ride the bus, which for the amount I work in the office is like someone handing me $15 at the end of every day and I get a much needed mile of walking up a gradual hill.

Even my wife makes fun of me fairly often, but her dad is stingy, too - he's always stingy. I'm stingy with everything else other than the kids and my hobbies.

That bus helps me be able to offer kev used dominos! He only wanted one. i can comfortably give him two, at least.

If I think of two tradies in union jobs in the US (this is possible) living together and living like my grandparents did, they'd have twice as much money as they needed - at least - and probably a more content lifestyle than most americans and most english folks.

I puzzled over it as a kid that my grandparents worked hard longer than they really had to - as a kid, this seems stupid. i get it now. They never got to the point where they spent money foolishly and had "town food" about once a week their entire lives.

The difference now is if you were poor even when I was a kid and it was of your own dumb mistakes, and you wasted your money with no eye on getting into a better situation, people called you a fool.

if you are middle class (I am middle class) and stingy, people call you a loser now. It's as if your spending determines your status, at least as long as you can keep it up, along with a plastic smile to go with it.

"oh, you ride the bus to work? I couldn't do that".

yeah, you could. I could afford to drive and park. It saves me about $3k a year in a same comparison scenario to ride the bus, which for the amount I work in the office is like someone handing me $15 at the end of every day and I get a much needed mile of walking up a gradual hill.

Even my wife makes fun of me fairly often, but her dad is stingy, too - he's always stingy. I'm stingy with everything else other than the kids and my hobbies.

That bus helps me be able to offer kev used dominos! He only wanted one. i can comfortably give him two, at least.
Oooo, well then i want a white one with black dots and a black one with white dots 🤩

Where is the mortgage advice. Is that an idea for a thread.

Buy an excavator that is no wider or you can pull the tracks into the same width as the tracked dumper then you can get through the same gates, inside buildings etc.
The dumper is about 1350 mm wide. The seller said it'd fit on an 8x4 plant trailer, then, after id won the auction it was suddenly wider. Luckily my brother has lots of trailers so i nicked one if his 🙄
The digger can be 980mm wide or expand the tracks out to 1300 👍

I wonder what tool steel dominos would be like - hardened and tempered.

probably not good for hot headed players.
🤣 make a couple! You never know, it might be the next big thing in the domino world.... luxury stainless and brass dominos 😁

I suppose for the last 22 years, I've worked an average of about 50-60 hours a week, often doing things that I don't like.

If I were affluent, I'd be retired.

I thought it was all about "hard work"?

To put put it bluntly, I reckon you are either fibbing, or, if you really have worked for all those hours, for all those years, and are still not affluent, then i don't think that says much for the system you promote so feverishly.

In all seriousness though and back to your original query - one thing worth considering when making your decision is that 5 year fixes are being offered at a slightly lower rate than 2 or 3 year fixes!

We can take from that, that those those that are setting these product rates are predicting that B of E base rate will level off and even start to fall back slightly after a few years - obviously just their predictions but its a common theme across the mortgage market so is a widely held opinion and is useful knowledge for your decision making!

These days there a million things aimed at us ( in terms of things to buy, phones, internet, computers / games machines , coffee machines,
We have become materialistic, we have this problem of judging people by what they own and not who they are, but the modern world of marketing has to be one of the major contributors to global warming and enviromental damage. They have managed to create illusions that so many fall for using terms that are total dangly bits. This has been a major shift from the days of thrift, then so much was need and not want, people brought footwear to keep their feet dry and not because of some label or badge that has allowed someone to import something from a sweatshop and make a huge profit in order to support their luxury lifestyle, the term designer has become synonymous with rip off to those not gullable enough to fall for it, everything has to be designed so again more dangly bits and another form of marketing just aimed at taking money from one end of the spectrum and shifting it to the other end so someone can buy a bigger yacht and drink more expensive champagne. If we want to level up and share the cake more evenly then the way to do it is not fall into traps set by the wealthy to extract your hard earned money, you don't need to pay over the odds for some stupid meaningless name on your cloths or think so called designer products are real because they belong in the land of unicorns and pixies.

Although it will hit some folk quite hard, a deep recession, which many are predicting, will at least have the benefit of forcing many to think carefully about how and upon what they spend their money, and reduce consumption of the exploitative in favour of the necessary.

Whilst I am happy to pay a fair price for that which I need, I dislike waste and excess.

We are entering the season of goodwill towards all. The wider environment and our pockets would benefit from the elimination from shopping and present lists all that by new year will be on its way to the recycling or landfill - plastic cr4p, excess food, cheaply made gadgets and gimmicks which fail within days etc.

Kids aside, only buy presents that are actually needed - I've told the family that bottles of single malt are fine, anything else if needed I probably already have or can go and buy anyway.

In the new year we can continue the good work - only buy that which is needed, not that which is persuasively marketed. Avoid over-priced brands unless demonstrably better (testing, quality control) - the costs of marketing and placement add nothing but cost to the product.

Baldkev - whatever you do don't ever start a sharpening thread! 😆
No Chance 😬😵‍💫
In all seriousness though and back to your original query - one thing worth considering when making your decision is that 5 year fixes are being offered at a slightly lower rate than 2 or 3 year fixes!

We can take from that, that those those that are setting these product rates are predicting that B of E base rate will level off and even start to fall back slightly after a few years - obviously just their predictions but its a common theme across the mortgage market so is a widely held opinion and is useful knowledge for your decision making!
Yep, i was leaning toward 2 year and hoping for the best. The rates have actually dropped a touch since the 3rd because the banks are more settled, so nows probably the best it'll get for a year or so....

I thought it was all about "hard work"?

To put put it bluntly, I reckon you are either fibbing, or, if you really have worked for all those hours, for all those years, and are still not affluent, then i don't think that says much for the system you promote so feverishly.

Way off.

They are coming here because they are desperate. But other parts of Europe are a softer touch and more go there. It's usually family or other connections which bring them here.
Statistics do not show that they are significantly criminally inclined except in small groups such as certain drug dealers, but they occur in all branches of society. Howard Marks's lot was one one of the biggest but I don't think the Welsh as a whole got blamed for drug dealing.

Doesn't work. Another of the free market fundamentalist myths.
More about Albanians ‘We all want to leave’: poverty, not crime, fuels the urge to flee Albania
They also come here because they believe that this is a humane and relatively civilised place. They are in for a shock when they find themselves in illegally run concentration camps like Manston, where the Home Office workers "looking after" them are drug dealers. Drugs scandal hits Manston migrant centre

Last edited:
Although it will hit some folk quite hard, a deep recession, which many are predicting, will at least have the benefit of forcing many to think carefully about how and upon what they spend their money, and reduce consumption of the exploitative in favour of the necessary.
Absolutely - it'll sort the sheep from the goats! :rolleyes:
Trouble is the most extravagant tend also to be the better off, probably connected to the fact they have more money than they really need.
How to target them, instead of the burden of austerity falling on the least well off, who need no lessons in living cheaply?

Back