Mortgage rates / interest etc

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Last edited:
I am well aware of the definitions. Average can, and is used for all of those..

No, it's not to be used for anything other than a defined mean. That mean could be logarithmic, arithmetic, geometric, but it doesn't mean mode and it doesn't mean median and never has.

Trying to extend the definition to be anything you want is a tactic for making factually false arguments.

For example, calling people in the bottom quintile on here "the average person" without saying "the average individual in the bottom quintile", or taking something composed of several unlike groups and claiming that one is average and the others are not. "the average landlord".

We have buy to let mortgages and no fault evictions.
These are supposedly being done away. Can't come too soon!
No fault evictions need to go no argument. What's your point about buy to let mortgages, they come at higher interest rates than money raised against your own home. Plus 3% on all stamp duty bands as well - don't suppose you abject to that either?

Regardless of the causes behind the economic forces driving the illegal cross channel migration.
It has to be curtailed, or the UK as we know it will cease to exist.
I just read a BBC report which graphed the years from 2018
2018 virtually zero.
2019 much the same.
2020 about 9 thou.
2021 about 30 thou.
2022 about 40,000.
This cannot be allowed to continue.
They also had a breakdown of the ethnicities ages and genders of the migrants. It was sadly illuminating.
They are NOT refugees.
They are economic migrants.
They must be stopped.
I do not know how they could be stopped, well I do but it would be offensive to some.
Marcus

No, it's not to be used for anything other than a defined mean. That mean could be logarithmic, arithmetic, geometric, but it doesn't mean mode and it doesn't mean median and never has.

Trying to extend the definition to be anything you want is a tactic for making factually false arguments.

For example, calling people in the bottom quintile on here "the average person" without saying "the average individual in the bottom quintile", or taking something composed of several unlike groups and claiming that one is average and the others are not. "the average landlord".

"Definition of average

(Entry 1 of 3)

1a : a single value (such as a mean, mode, or median) that summarizes or represents the general significance of a set of unequal values "

From Definition of AVERAGE

"Merriam-Webster is America's most trusted online dictionary" , according to Merriam Webster.
When I was learning statisics at school here in the UK (most likely about 13) we were taught that there were three types of average and you choose mean. median or mode depending on the data and what you want to present. Also we were told that you should tell people which average you are using.

Regardless of the causes behind the economic forces driving the illegal cross channel migration.
2018 virtually zero.
2019 much the same.
2020 about 9 thou.
2021 about 30 thou.
2022 about 40,000.
They also had a breakdown of the ethnicities ages and genders of the migrants. It was sadly illuminating.
They are NOT refugees.
They must be stopped.
I do not know how they could be stopped, well I do but it would be offensive to some.
Marcus
Why does the government decided that the overwhelming majority of them are in fact refugees.

Things change, I only used to know there to be a single definition of average, like ‘a woman’, it used to be very easy to define, we all knew what it meant. Now it seems nobody knows, and it could be anyone or anything! Haven’t looked up how dictionaries now define it.😜

Things change, a woman used to be very easy to define, we all knew what it meant. Now it seems nobody knows, and it could be anyone or anything! Haven’t looked up how dictionaries now define it.😜
Well I am going off the definition I was taught in the second or third year of secondary school back in the mid 70s.

Average does not appear to have changed. A lot of other things have.

Well I am going off the definition I was taught in the second or third year of secondary school back in the mid 70s.

Average does not appear to have changed. A lot of other things have.

I used to have a Collins English Dictionary, average was definitely defined as the sum of numbers divided by the quantity of numbers, still appears to be the case looking at it on line. That’s the trouble with American Dictionary’s used outside America. For me a trunk is an appendage of an elephant and not the rear storage compartment of a car.

At one stage I taught O level maths, if you answered a question about an average giving the mode or median, you would definitely have failed.🤯

In ordinary language, an average is a single number taken as representative of a list of numbers, usually the sum of the numbers divided by how many numbers are in the list (the arithmetic mean). For example, the average of the numbers 2, 3, 4, 7, and 9 (summing to 25) is 5. Depending on the context, an average might be another statistic such as the median, or mode. For example, the average personal income is often given as the median—the number below which are 50% of personal incomes and above which are 50% of personal incomes—because the mean would be misleadingly high by including personal incomes from a few billionaires.

In ordinary language, an average is a single number taken as representative of a list of numbers, usually the sum of the numbers divided by how many numbers are in the list (the arithmetic mean). For example, the average of the numbers 2, 3, 4, 7, and 9 (summing to 25) is 5. Depending on the context, an average might be another statistic such as the median, or mode. For example, the average personal income is often given as the median—the number below which are 50% of personal incomes and above which are 50% of personal incomes—because the mean would be misleadingly high by including personal incomes from a few billionaires.
Having said that, when I was at school, a long time ago, we always meant arithmetic mean if we used the term average. I'm not sure whether that's the case these days, which is why I brought it up. I can assure you that it wasn't to make false arguments.

I used to have a Collins English Dictionary, average was definitely defined as the sum of numbers divided by the quantity of numbers, still appears to be the case looking at it on line. That’s the trouble with American Dictionary’s used outside America. For me a trunk is an appendage of an elephant and not the rear storage compartment of a car.

At one stage I taught O level maths, if you answered a question about an average giving the mode or median, you would definitely have failed.🤯
My 1975 Collins English Dictionary which is sat next to me would agree with that definition but it also has no reference to median and mode with regards to statistics. You can only put in so many references.

I am not sure we had stastistics at O level. We did a lot of stuff in the first three years that we never did again. Certainly have studied statistics since.

No fault evictions need to go no argument. What's your point about buy to let mortgages, they come at higher interest rates than money raised against your own home. Plus 3% on all stamp duty bands as well - don't suppose you abject to that either?
So called 'no fault evictions' have been totally misrepresented by the media and various pressure groups.

A 'no fault' eviction refers to a 'Section 21' type of eviction were the landlord does not need to site any faults that the tenant may or may not be in breach of in order to evict.

An 'at fault' eviction such as a 'Section 8' eviction can be used when the tenant may be in rent arrears or is damaging the property or creating antisocial nuisances with neighbours etc.

The problem landlords have with using the 'at fault' Section 8 eviction method is that the hurdles and obstruction to its use are so great that it's easier for the landlord to use a 'no fault' Section 21 eviction instead.

So the reality is that the majority of tenants who are evicted through 'no fault' evictions, are actually at fault - its just not been sited as a reason for eviction as thats a more difficult process.

In reality landlords rarely if ever evict good tenants unless they have a very good reason to such as the wish to sell their rental property or maybe move back into it themselves etc.

2018 virtually zero.
2019 much the same.
2020 about 9 thou.
2021 about 30 thou.
2022 about 40,000.
They are NOT refugees.
They must be stopped.
Marcus
It's not actually illegal to cross the channel and land in the UK by whatever means. But the law requires you to immediately register your arrival and seek legal permission, visas etc. Just about all of them do as far as is known. I doubt there are many "illegal" immigrants at all.
PS this is changing due to the The Nationality and Borders Act 2022 but is very ambiguous, inoperable, likely to be ignored etc.

A simple matter of fact is that we need them as labour force. We currently have record low unemployment and record levels of job vacancies.
In general immigrants throughout history cause economies to flourish. There's a simple reason for this - they tend to go where the prospects for work and a normal life are greatest.
Appalling Farage on R4 this morning. Why do they give him air space - he's not elected by anybody, has nothing interesting to say and is an out-and-out loud mouth racist. Farage stats here: the total of all the votes he's ever obtained in his dubious career is less than Diane Abbotts majority at just the one last election. Just a measure of his utter insignificance except as a rabble rouser.
PS your figures are completely wrong. U.K. Immigration Statistics 1960-2022

Last edited:
My 1979 Collins Dictionary has the first definition of average as:"The typical or normal amount, quality or degree etc."
It also does have entries for mode and median.

My favourite dictionary, compiled by Ambrose Bierce, is strangely silent on the matter, and Henry Root's World of Knowledge, simply mentions that the bankruptcy courts are full of those who believed in the law of averages.

Last edited:

In reality landlords rarely if ever evict good tenants
Bad landlords do
unless they have a very good reason to such as the wish to sell their rental property or maybe move back into it themselves etc.
These are not good enough reasons to disrupt people's lives. Tenants should not be evicted unless and until they have somewhere equivalent or better, where they would happily go.

A point will be reached where due to ineffective control by the government a flashpoint will be reached and we have civil unrest, the people will demonstrate there feelings and this will be made worse by the fact we are in an economic crisis and worrying about food and heating whilst the government waste £6.8 million a day on economic migrants, we all know the direction it is going and the government is wholly responsible and will have to take the consequences.

A point will be reached where due to ineffective control by the government a flashpoint will be reached and we have civil unrest,
which is what Farage and co hope, intend and induced, in the form of brexit
the people will demonstrate there feelings and this will be made worse by the fact we are in an economic crisis and worrying about food and heating
Which is why we've got brexit, which has made things generally worse for all concerned

Why does the government decided that the overwhelming majority of them are in fact refugees.
I entirely agree with you, however a worrying trend now appears to be emerging of increasing numbers of single young Albanian men. Some of these appear to be expected to repay the criminal gangs who brought them here by becoming forced labour in Cannabis farms and other criminal enterprises. As for the legitimate refugees, as i understand the situation they are not legally permitted to work until their application has been processed. The government have made such a spectacular balls up of the whole process that many who would doubtless want to work are unable to do so for months on end whilst waiting for their cases to be determined. Hardly their fault.

Back