More stuff at Lidle this week UPDATED

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have wondered about one of those cordless saws to use for rough sheet cutting- to get it in the car etc. whilst I blunt it is going to produce a good cut surface, it looks ideal for that purpose.

marcros":1ikvvwxz said:
I have wondered about one of those cordless saws to use for rough sheet cutting- to get it in the car etc. whilst I blunt it is going to produce a good cut surface, it looks ideal for that purpose.

I had a Makita for just that, it was good at first but got little use. Eventually it just stopped working, the batteries were fine, I shared them with my drill. I was thinking the same as you, but knowing my luck the same would happen.

Downside is only one battery and full hour charge.
Upside is 3 year warranty.

I think I'll probably end up doing the same. The last time I bought an 8" x 4" sheet of 22mm MDF I quickly grabbed the nearest saw to hand, which just happened to be very blunt. Sawing the 8ft length with a blunt saw isn't something I want to repeat in a hurry :roll:

Tempted to go for the jigsaw and circular saw. At least they'll be a spare battery in case the other one runs out half way through a cut.

Graham Orm":3p5xudox said:
marcros":3p5xudox said:

I had a Makita for just that, it was good at first but got little use. Eventually it just stopped working, the batteries were fine, I shared them with my drill. I was thinking the same as you, but knowing my luck the same would happen.

Downside is only one battery and full hour charge.
Upside is 3 year warranty.

Extra batteries £16 delivered

At £11.99 these (though total excrement of course) do come in handy for a mobile mini lathe stand when club meetings require multiple lathe stations :)

Attachments

• workbench.png
    workbench.png
    212 KB · Views: 1,757
Random Orbital Bob":2vdj1ga0 said:
At £11.99 these (though total excrement of course) do come in handy for a mobile mini lathe stand when club meetings require multiple lathe stations :)

Buy 2 for trestles
The "winding gear" can be used to build a moxton style vice.

Graham Orm":7tn4y6f4 said:
At those prices it seems wrong not to buy them!

That's the cunning sales ploy. Prices you just can't refuse, even if you don't really need the things.

I find myself trying to think of things I can use the bargains for. I bought one of the chop saws last week for eldest son to use and had a real problem not taking one of the pillar drills as well, even though I've got two already.

Shug

Random Orbital Bob":3uixg4fu said:

Also handy to keep in the van, very useful indeed.
Rodders

Random Orbital Bob":1qhz0daj said:

I bought one this evening. For £11.99 they're really not bad at all.

Interestingly, the dogs which come with the workbench will fit a Festool MFT perfectly, so it could be worth buying it just for the benchdogs. They will also fit a bench drilled for 3/4" holdfasts at a push.

Mark

Graham Orm":3fjz6ep2 said:
I thought of maybe adapting the workmate into a Moxon type thing.
I got my Dad to gey me an Aldi one for just that purpose. It's still at my Dads at the moment though so I haven't done anthing about it

Random Orbital Bob":1hq3rjxc said:
I bought one of these and spent 4 hours trying to assemble it. It turns out that the pieces that you push down to lock the legs were riveted on upside down making it impossible to assemble correctly. It can be remedied by removing them and assembling the right way up. I bought another one instead and assembled it in record time. The first one I will use as an end vice when I build my workbench. Harry

Back