More on Scroll Chucks, this time for smaller work

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If you need a quick printable guide to construct an indexing template, temp. or long term project, there are some good Segment Template images-( 6-144) provided by Bill Smith (linked on my site)
seg.jpg

Attachments

• seg.jpg
    seg.jpg
    75.5 KB · Views: 1,194
YouSpinMeRightRound":we0t79k6 said:
That would be great. I wasn't really looking for anything definitive (I'd imagine putting that together would be very time-consuming), just something to point me in the right direction as I currently have no idea.
You may have already gleaned enough information from Mick's posting but for the sake of passing on further ideas I'll give details of my solution.

Regretably I can't find my Mk1 version which used the detent slots (rather than the holes) in the rear ring of the XT650 Chuck - nor can I find the sketches I made :( The photo's below show the Mk2 version which is independent of the chuck simply being screwed to the lathe nose prior to fitting the chuck on the 2MT taper shank.

As I said, I already had some fixing points - these are the two vertical alum struts you can see in the rear view - the Mk1 used a bar screwed across those two with a simple 3mm x 1mm brass pin in a slide which dropped into the detent in the chuck.

The front fixing point was also used to secure the detent for the Mk2 version.

How the detent works is probably of most interest to you so I've done a detailed drawing which should enable you to understand the principle.

How you make the indexing plate is a separate issue and I have the advantage of a dividing head which I used to drill 3mm holes in circles of 20, 18, 16, 15, 14 & 12 but I see that CHJ has posted a link to an indexing template while I've been typing this missive !

From the photos I'm sure you will appreciate that this is still WIP - whether it will ever get any more refined is debatable - it WORKS - so it's on the back burner :lol:

Attachments

• Indexer detent Detail.png
    Indexer detent Detail.png
    254.8 KB · Views: 1,184
  • Indexer detent Front.png
    Indexer detent Front.png
    248.3 KB · Views: 1,184
  • Indexer detent Rear.png
    Indexer detent Rear.png
    250 KB · Views: 1,184
  • Detent.png
    Detent.png
    164.7 KB · Views: 1,184
I drilled my face plate around the perimeter to allow indexing on that, I plan to turn (metal- at work) a collar, again, drilled around the perimeter, to fit against the back of the chuck. Sorry, going off a bit.

Hi

I have been in touch with Record Power to ask if there was a system discount if all parts of the RP2000 chuck system were purchased at the same time - their response was not at the moment but it is being considered for the Winter promotion which starts in September.

I can wait until then :)

Regards Mick

Latest posts

Back