More on Scroll Chucks, this time for smaller work

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Random Orbital Bob

Established Member
Reaction score
I've been reflecting on the 3" versus the 4" chucks while pottering about Tesco this morning (regardless of manufacturer) and it does rather occur to me that for the majority of smaller items, having a 3" chuck would be rather handy would it not? Better access to the headstock end for curves etc, less likely to clonk wrist or knuckles, less cost to buy incl the jaws, still compatible with the XT700 or SN2 jaw sets so no bad there. Also, my 4" chucks are fairly heavy beasts so quite a lot less stress on the bearings too.

One thing that doesn't come up very frequently is the Record Power RP2000 HERE

This has a diameter of only 62mm and is also under £70. Definitely designed for smaller turning. Anyone had any experience with it? One immediate downside I can see is that it doesn't look like the jaws are compatible with the G3 and SN2 whereas the Dakota 3" chuck jaws are.

Hi

It looks like a very useful chuck - I've been considering getting one to try for some time now, it would be an alternative means to accomplish tasks I currently use extended jaws or glue chucks for.

The reduced inertia would make it a good choice for use on smaller lathes.

Regards Mick

so 64,000 dollar question Mick. Which would you plump for out of the Dakota smaller one and the RP2000? I think I'm like you in the sense that I'm a big fan of RP in general so I'm also tempted by the RP. All the jaw sets are much cheaper (half the price) of the G3 and SN2 but the Dakota has the compatibility advantage. Or does it? Do we know for sure that the RP2000 isn't compatible with the SN2 etc or are we just guessing that?

Hi

Record say in their bumf that the SN2 and G3 jaws are interchangeable - as they don't say that the RP2000 jaws are interchangeable and the jaws have different part numbers I think it's safe to say they are not interchangeable.

Which of the RP and Dakota would I buy? - I'd go for the Record for the following reasons:

I have no intention of changing my lathe and would prefer the direct thread that the Record offers over the Dakota adaptor.

I've yet to have to take advantage of RP's 5 year guarantee, but it's nice to know it's there

I can get the Record chuck and three additional sets of jaws for less than the Dakota set

The whole RP package which equates to the Dakota, (minus the case), is only £26 more expensive

If I bought one of these chucks it would be because of their small size, so I'd go for the RP as it is the smallest

The only real downside of the RP I see is the lack of an indexing facility but I have an independent one so it's not sufficient reason to choose the Dakota.

Regards Mick

I bought the Dakota XT650 kit when the XT700 was flagged up as being on offer from Rutland's.

I had to make an adapter for my lathe and opted for a 2MT shank which I always use with a draw-bar. It has been a boon and compliments the ER32 chuck I made earlier. Although I also made a detent to take advantage of the indexing facility which worked perfectly I've since made a more versatile indexing system because I needed an 18 hole option which can't be done with the built in 24 hole.

Having the 5 sets of jaws makes the chuck extraordinarily versatile.

Good points, well made. I hadn't thought of the direct threading. Ironically, the warranty just paid me dividends this very morning as a courier arrived with a new motor for my 4 year old DX and also with a new banjo for my CL4 which was ever so slightly bent (the casting was out) from new and which since I was on the phone with them I also had replaced. So that's probably in the region of over a £100 worth of spares for nowt as a direct result of their excellent 5 year warranty. The banjo one could argue should have been right from the beginning but a new motor for a 4 year old DX...superb service.

J-G":5aj6dhw2 said:

Hi

If I were a beginner I wouldn't hesitate to buy the Dakota for that very reason - you're getting a hell of a lot of versatility for, what I consider to be, a very reasonable price.

As a fairly well equipped turner I already have the capability to mimic several functions of the Dakota with my existing equipment, hence my considerations and conclusion above.

Regards Mick

I can confirm that the RP200 and SN2 jaws are NOT compatible. I have both chucks and the RP2000 has much smaller jaws. The fitting screws are also smaller

I think it's a lovely little chuck for small work - but I bought mine second hand for £50 and it came with 2 extra sets of jaws - which made it somewhat of a bargain.

J-G":1bs0btd8 said:
I bought the Dakota XT650 kit when the XT700 was flagged up as being on offer from Rutland's.

I had to make an adapter for my lathe and opted for a 2MT shank which I always use with a draw-bar. It has been a boon and compliments the ER32 chuck I made earlier. Although I also made a detent to take advantage of the indexing facility which worked perfectly I've since made a more versatile indexing system because I needed an 18 hole option which can't be done with the built in 24 hole.

I also bought this kit, it's working out pretty well, but haven't used the indexing yet. Would you mind posting pics/description? I've been meaning to start a thread asking how to use the indexing for weeks.

YouSpinMeRightRound":pafg3o6u said:
J-G":pafg3o6u said:
Although I also made a detent to take advantage of the indexing facility which worked perfectly I've since made a more versatile indexing system because I needed an 18 hole option which can't be done with the built in 24 hole.
I also bought this kit, it's working out pretty well, but haven't used the indexing yet. Would you mind posting pics/description? I've been meaning to start a thread asking how to use the indexing for weeks.
How you go about this is very dependent upon which lathe you have (and what other equipment you have to make components).
I use a Myford Super 7 metalworking lathe which already had some modifications which I'd done to fit my elliptical turning chuck and I could utilize some of those. I don't have photo's at the moment but I'll set it up tomorrow and either post or PM you with the details. It won't give you a definitive 'This is how to do it' but, hopefully, it may give you ideas as to how you might go about setting your own up.

J-G":906tm0u0 said:
YouSpinMeRightRound":906tm0u0 said:
J-G":906tm0u0 said:
Although I also made a detent to take advantage of the indexing facility which worked perfectly I've since made a more versatile indexing system because I needed an 18 hole option which can't be done with the built in 24 hole.
How you go about this is very dependent upon which lathe you have (and what other equipment you have to make components).
I use a Myford Super 7 metalworking lathe which already had some modifications which I'd done to fit my elliptical turning chuck and I could utilize some of those. I don't have photo's at the moment but I'll set it up tomorrow and either post or PM you with the details. It won't give you a definitive 'This is how to do it' but, hopefully, it may give you ideas as to how you might go about setting your own up.

That would be great. I wasn't really looking for anything definitive (I'd imagine putting that together would be very time-consuming), just something to point me in the right direction as I currently have no idea.

I have the RP2000 with an extra couple of sets of jaws. Its about perfect size for my RPML300, and didn't break the bank.

If I didnt have vouchers to put towards it when I got it, i may well have got the rutlands kit. The indexing capability would have been nice- I plan to make one for mine....

There is sometimes a very slight missalignment on the heights of the jaws when changing, appears to be a tiny bit of play in the actual slides. Seems to go once its gripping something.
Its the only proper chuck of that sort iv'e used, so difficult to compare quality.

Hitch":1i5pvb9d said:
I have the RP2000 with an extra couple of sets of jaws. Its about perfect size for my RPML300, and didn't break the bank.

If I didnt have vouchers to put towards it when I got it, i may well have got the rutlands kit. The indexing capability would have been nice- I plan to make one for mine....

There is sometimes a very slight missalignment on the heights of the jaws when changing, appears to be a tiny bit of play in the actual slides. Seems to go once its gripping something.
Its the only proper chuck of that sort iv'e used, so difficult to compare quality.

The XT650 has the same thing - a little bit of play when it's not gripping. Like you, I've no other point of reference so I don't know if it's a big deal. The chuck does the job though.

Hi

For woodturning 24 holes, (or multiples thereof), are a good starting point - add other numbers as you find you need them

Regards Mick

As has been said The RP2000 performs well and is great for smaller work. And a lot cheaper than the Nova was.

Back