More old hand tool adverts

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have one of these GTL tool chests. It was my grandfathers. I would love to get a list of contents to verify I have everything. I know I have missing a 3/4 Firmer chisel which I have been seeking for 5 years. My Dad lent it to someone and never got it back. Any chance I could get a copy of the advert?

Any information on GTL tools would be welcome.

Thanks John Peckham

Welcome to the forum, John.

Guaranteed Tools Limited gets an "either side of 1930" dateline in British Planemakers but I know they were around earlier than that because they were mentioned in The Woodworker c.1927/28. They didn't actually make any tools; f'rinstance I think J A Chapman - later to become Stanley GB - made their planes iirc. In BPMs it says dryly "The planes were often of soft alloy and inferior design". I'm flying a bit of a kite here, but the Ross & Alexander catalogue from 1938 gives us this which looks awfully similar, and mentions "guaranteed" rather a lot:

129fs394968.jpg

Cheers, Alf

Thanks for the kind words and the feedback.

My granfathers GTL chest is later I think than the one depected. It is a wooden chest with a lift out tray. It contains a metal smoothing plane in the bottom with 3 (one missing) wood chisels, files etc. Handsaw in lid with a tennon saw. Top tray contains marking gauge, try square, glass cutter, tack hammer, claw hammer, pliers pinchers etc.

In the bottom are 2 tins of screws and nails with yellow lids and marked GTL. The scew tine has a rawlplug tool.

I am told my grandmother purchased it for my grandfather just before or just after WW2.

I would love a contants list and any other information. A date(s) of manufacture would also be nice. Also looking to replace the missing 3/4" firmer chisel. I found a 1/2" chisel by GTL on Ebay to fill the gap for now.

John Peckham

Hi John,

Welcome to the forum.

I looked through my old Woodworker magazines last night and I couldn't find a GTL advert with the contents of the tool chest listed. The advert I posted above mentions sending away for "a beautiful 16-page brochure describing the GTL Guaranteed Tool Chest." It sounds like the brochure is what you're after but I expect finding one will present problems.

Paul Chapman":37k9mdy8 said:
Great stuff, Ian. I reckon that if you wanted to be a woodworker in those days, it was compulsory to wear a waistcoat and smoke a pipe :lol:

Cheers :wink:

Paul

I know this is going back a bit in the posts. (I was following links).
Until well into the sixties, most shops required workers to wear collar and tie. The foreman especially so. Even on site, the foreman wore 'blue collar'. (Blue-collar' workers? :wink: )

The waistcoat? These days it's okay to show your braces but then, most men wore a waistcoat to hide their braces and it was also somewhere to put your 'Albert' and timepiece. Mind you, a waistcoat (vest, for our tranatlantic members) looks best on a slim person!

Pipe or ciggies in a shop were an obvious no-no, except in the Works Manager's office maybe! (You had to knock and wait if you wanted to see Him - and you provided your own hassock!) I think it all boiled down to a 'pecking order' in the workplace. Apart from all that it was fairly easy-going then! [-X [-X

:eek:ccasion5:
John

Good news folks I have now progressed with my search concerning my grandfather's GTL tool chest. My search for the 3/4" firmer chisel was hopeless as I now know the missing chisel was a 1" chisel. i know this as I purchesed a seconnd GTL tool chest just to get the chisel only to find it was a 1" chisel. I had already purchased a 1" GTL firmer chisel on Ebay.I have a copy of the GTL advert purchased on Ebay. I am now looking for that illusive GTL parts list. My second GTL tool kit lacks a few tools that I will now search for. I am short of a nail punch. I found one and purchased it from Ebay only for it to go missing in the post. I will dispose of the second GTL tool chest when complete or near complete. Does anyone have an idea of a price? Also can anyone help with a parts list or any information on GTL tools? Thanks.

Paul Chapman":6evjjndf said:
Great stuff, Ian. I reckon that if you wanted to be a woodworker in those days, it was compulsory to wear a waistcoat and smoke a pipe :lol:

Paul

Paul and to have a parting in your hair, left side only.

newt":1qv5nou0 said:
Paul Chapman":1qv5nou0 said:

Paul

Paul and to have a parting in your hair, left side only.

Paul Chapman wrote:
And plastered down with Brylcreme........

Luckily for me those rules no longer apply! (although I do have a parting that extends from my left ear to my right one...) :lol: :lol: :lol:

cheers,
Andy

Good news I managed to obtain a photo copy of the GTL Tool Chest Guide to the "GTL Tool Chest and Home Repairing Guide". This lists the tool sthat should be in the box and other useful information.

I have now discovered reading the information I am short of a folding wooden 24" rule and an oil can. No doubt another 10 year search.

Does anyone else have one of these kits?

Meanwhile, several years later, I found this in the "London Gazette".

"In the Matter of GUARANTEED TOOLS Ltd. (in
Voluntary Liquidation) and in the Matter of the
Companies Act, 1948.
NOTICE is hereby given that a General Meeting
of the Members of Guaranteed Tools Limited will
be held at 12 Nesta Road Woodford Green Essex
on Tuesday the 15th day of April 1952 at 10.30
o'clock in the forenoon precisely, for the purpose of
having an account laid before them by the Liquidator
(pursuant to Section 290 of the Companies Act,
1948) showing the manner in which the winding-up
of the said Company has been conducted, and the