More old hand tool adverts

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mirboo

Established Member
Reaction score
I picked up a few old copies of Woodworker Magazine yesterday at my local second hand book shop. Building on Alf's earlier thread, here are some more old handtool advertisements that you might find interesting.

Record

August 1959

November 1959

July 1960

November 1960 - Note that a new edition of Planecraft is mentioned.

Marples

February 1958

May 1960

Eclipse

November 1959

November 1960

July 1964

Woden

August 1959 - Is this a bit un-PC by today's standards or is it just me? :shock:

November 1959

May 1960

November 1960

Ward & Payne

August 1959

November 1960

Saws

November 1960

November 1960 - This is after H.K. Porter had taken over Disston. It's a bit hard to read in the scan, but the etch on the saw includes the text "H.K. Porter Company (Canada) Ltd. Toronto Canada"

Mirboo":2y0rzluh said:
The Record 735 is detailed in my version of Planecraft (the Woodcraft reprint).

My version of 'Planecraft', the 1959 edition, shows two, the 735 soft and hardboard plane and the 730 softboard plane.

Very interesting stuff, Ian. I didn't realise that the Eclipse honing guide and general purpose saw, with interchangeable blades, were introduced so long ago.

Cheers :wink:

Paul

What about those Ward & Payne "Aristocrat" Chisels. Socket handle chisels just like Lie Nielson make um :lol: but at around 25 shillings each a bit cheaper :lol: what would 25shillings buy in 1960? Beer was about one and threepence a pint, a tot of scotch about two bob, so you could buy a nice 1" chisel or get drunk on a dozen tots of whisky, yep they were cheaper than Lie Nielsons's. :lol:

Lord Nibbo":26icrjxm said:
What about those Ward & Payne "Aristocrat" Chisels. Socket handle chisels just like Lie Nielson make um :lol: but at around 25 shillings each a bit cheaper :lol: what would 25shillings buy in 1960? Beer was about one and threepence a pint, a tot of scotch about two bob, so you could buy a nice 1" chisel or get drunk on a dozen tots of whisky, yep they were cheaper than Lie Nielsons's. :lol:

I have *never* seen one of those.

But there was a patent date in the advert...

http://v3.espacenet.com/textdoc?DB=EPOD ... 808614&F=0

BugBear

Ooo, I'm in hand tool advert heaven :D Thanks, Ian. =D> =D> =D>

The Ward & Payne "Aristocrat" Chisels worry me - a Design Centre Award is usually a sure indicator of a lousy design and yet they look okay... 8-[ :lol:

Cheers, Alf

Fascinating stuff. Reminds me of my childhood/early teens when we all lived in black and white.

I've never come across one of those Aristocrat chisels either, although it's still quite easy to find standard tanged Ward chisels. I guess that they just couldn't justify that eye-wateringly high price and never sold in significant numbers.

To give you another idea of comparison, I've got a Stanley catalogue from 1972 and a one inch 5001 chisel (just the most awe-inspiring, drool worthy tool in those simple times) was £1.10 list price.

Regards.

bugbear":1390ftxi said:
Are these ad scans archived anywhere?

I know about this guy:
http://www.hyperkitten.com/tools/ads/

and this one:
http://www.oldtoolsshop.com/Galoots/gRo ... index.html

and there's some scanned books at
http://www.oldtoolsshop.com/storageBin/index.asp

BugBear
Some interesting ones there Bugbear (Woodworker magazine 1921) should interest Barry Burgess page 12 & 13, dunno if a link works on a pdf file but here is the link http://www.oldtoolsshop.com/z_pdf/woodWork/1921-theWoodWorker-ne.pdf

I looked through a few more of my old Woodworker magazines today and here for your viewing pleasure are some more scans of old handtool ads.

Marples

November 1936

S. Tyzack & Son

October 1936 - Maybe this should be classed as a foot tool rather than a hand tool. :roll:

December 1936

Buck & Hickman

October 1936

November 1936

December 1936

Pugh's

November 1936

December 1936

Guaranteed Tools Limited

November 1936 - I didn't see any mention of a pipe and neck tie in any of David Charlesworth's video's :-k

Johnson's - Not really hand tools
cover.gif

October 1936

November 1936

December 1936

Great stuff, Ian. I reckon that if you wanted to be a woodworker in those days, it was compulsory to wear a waistcoat and smoke a pipe :lol:

Cheers :wink:

Paul

Mirboo":2z5ed7qu said:
Here's one for Alf.

Lewin

December 1957
Not that I'm obviously obsessed in any way... :oops: :lol: I think that may be the latest date for a Lewin sighting I've come across; need to check my own page to be sure #-o

Mirboo":2z5ed7qu said:
Guaranteed Tools Limited

November 1936 - I didn't see any mention of a pipe and neck tie in any of David Charlesworth's video's :-k
A few months ago I actually saw one of these GTL sets in the flesh, almost complete. The interesting thing was, given the poor quality of the GTL plane (so frequently bought by the unsuspecting as something "special") the majority of the tools in it were really rather good quality. Unfortunately I hadn't the camera on me or I'd have taken a few pics. #-o From the advert illustration it looks like the book of instruction was one of the Woodworker handbooks, so all in all not that bad a buy at all. Where GTL won was offering their tools on HP, which is why their planes are so often seen.

Cheers, Alf

Alf":1rsrfwh3 said:
I think that may be the latest date for a Lewin sighting I've come across; need to check my own page to be sure #-o

The same Lewin advert appeared in the January 1958 edition of Woodworker magazine. I've still got a few magazines to go through so I'll see if I can come up with a later one.

Thanks everyone for your responses.

Alf":21q4043j said:
A few months ago I actually saw one of these GTL sets in the flesh, almost complete. The interesting thing was, given the poor quality of the GTL plane (so frequently bought by the unsuspecting as something "special")

Anybody else seen a GTL (with its usual inline adjuster) labelled as a Norris? :wink:

BugBear

Back