Old hand tool adverts

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Alf

Established Member
Reaction score
As I was pillaging the pages of The Woodworker for Rapier and Comet adverts, a few others took my eye that might be of interest. Firstly all the Rapier and Comet together:

June 1950

September 1950

October 1951

April 1954

September 1950

August 1951

February 1954

Woden

February 1954

October 1954

Marples

August 1951

February 1954

Norris

August 1951

October 1951

Saws! (Well it had to be....)

August 1951

May 1954

Stanley, suggesting a varient on the old "circled catalogue Christmas present" dodge... :lol:

November 1951

Finally one for Martin - it loks to me like the plough plane top left is a Pemuvar P44...?

November 1951

Sheesh, you can tell which are the old scans, can't you? Should have asked BB for some tips ages ago. :oops: Although I neglected to reduce the file size a bit - whoops.

Cheers, Alf

Nice post Alf. I like looking at the old marketing stuff. I'm a member of The Traditional Tools Group (TTTG) here in Sydney (a bit like TATHS I gather) and their regular newsletters always have copies of old advertising. Its always really interesting to check them out.

There is a Stanley 923 bit brace for sale on a website in the US that has the Christmas packaging featured in the Stanley add you posted. Check out the first for sale item on the page linked to below.

http://www.patented-antiques.com/Backpa ... llbits.htm

It is a nice specimen. I'm just not prepared to pay the asking price.

Thanks for posting those, Alf - nothing like a bit of nostalgia :wink: I bought several tools from Parry & Son in Old Street back in the 1970s. I used to love taking a long lunch hour and looking around their shop. Also have a soft spot for Woden tools - I have a metalworking vice made by them that used to belong to my grandfather, so heaven knows how old it is, but it works like new and will probably out-live me :wink:

Paul

Cheers for those Alf-nice!
I picked up 6 copies of "The Woodworker" from 1924 this morning-gift
from a mate. They liked their A+C furniture :lol:
Philly :D

Philly":1q43e469 said:
I picked up 6 copies of "The Woodworker" from 1924 this morning-gift from a mate.
Jammy swine! :shock: Any good adverts? [-o< That's the drawback to the annuals - no ads in most of them :(

Ian, ooo, there's some crispy tooling on that page, isn't there? Mmmm... =P~

Glad I'm not the only one interested in this stuff - although I imagine I'm in the minority when it comes to a specific interest in 1950s tool makers. The interesting thing is there doesn't seem to be a single ad by Record in any of the issues I have, apart from a plug for "Planecraft". Numerous Stanley ones though.

Cheers, Alf

Alf":a2nh9biy said:
The interesting thing is there doesn't seem to be a single ad by Record in any of the issues I have, apart from a plug for "Planecraft".

One of my favourite ads by Record was one of theirs of more recent times which was in full colour, covering three pages, which read "Plain planes, fancy planes and fancy that planes". The "fancy that plane" featured was the #405 Multiplane :wink:

Bought my copy of "Planecraft" in 1971 - great little book :wink:

Paul

Thank you Alf , really enjoy reading about those dusty olde books , I only wish that someone wood :lol: finance you for a fortnight or two up in Sheffield and write and research their rich history of tool making

Very interesting Alf, thanks for publishing those. Got any from the 1930s or was it all done by hand bills back then?

Scrit

Alas, no 1930s ones 'cos they're all annuals. :( Going to have a sweep through the user-bound 1925 one I just got on the off-chance there's something interesting though.

SDP, yeah, I wish someone wood too! :lol:

Cheers, Alf

Those are pretty cool, Alf!

I can get lost looking through old advertising stuff. We have a local museum dedicated to advertising through the past decades. Not many tools, but still a fun way to pass a rainy afternoon.

Take care, Mike

Alf":vt0pcs2r said:
Going to have a sweep through the user-bound 1925 one I just got on the off-chance there's something interesting though.
Which I've now done - not much, but fwiw:

May 1925

June 1925

November 1925

November 1925

Could do with one of those hand-cranked lathes... :-k :D

Cheers, Alf

Alf":1a6o2hvz said:
Sheesh, thought you'd found one for sale - for a fiver. :lol:

Hah! If I found one for a fiver (*), it wouldn't be for you!

It's mine, I tell you, all mine! :twisted:

BugBear

(*) not likely

Sheesh, the price of friendship - five pounds. I'm wounded to the core. [-( :wink:

If you find two for a tenner though, you'll let me know...? :lol:

Cheers, Alf

Alf":3vjnxzfi said:
Sheesh, the price of friendship - five pounds. I'm wounded to the core. [-( :wink:

If you find two for a tenner though, you'll let me know...? :lol:

You'll be first on the list for seconds!

BugBear

Latest posts

Back