Moorish table

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

edmund

Established Member
Reaction score
At last, after much effort and mistakes (and the most expletives I've ever used on a project) I've finished my table. I shamelessly made the design as a copy of pictures I've seen of moorish tables made by Liberty at the turn of the century. I found a nice picture of a Moorish arch at the Alhambra which I used for working out the style of the arch for the cut out panels.
http://www.filehigh.com/viewgallery.php?f=18406
The table is made from European oak which I fumed for about 20 mins to give it a slightly richer colour. The legs were my first attempt at turning - I had one turning mishap and one mishap with the grooving for the arch panels - so I had to do 8 in the end! After much consideration I went for square tops on the legs and angled shoulders for the tenons on the aprons. I used slotted tenons as cutting one angle was better for accuracy
http://www.filehigh.com/serve/3221/145520.jpg
http://www.filehigh.com/serve/3221/145521.jpg
The worst part was assembly. Despite a dry assembly it needed much coercion at glue up (much cursing and a bit of bashing :) ) There are still some gaps between the top of some of the legs and the shoulder of the aprons.
Edmund

A great piece of work, if those legs were your first attempts at turning you deserve considerable praise, making any couple that long and slender to match with freehand turning is not easy, to get six is due top marks.

What did you use as final finish?

Ah ha, you mean Moorish as in "tasty" and "I'll have some more of that" :wink: :D I like that one alot; definitely Moorish but not over-blown. And the turning - flippin' marvellous. Proper job, Edmund. =D>

Cheers, Alf

Yes I can agree with all above comments, very sweet.

Are you going to furnish the room with more of the same style?

That is lovely Edmund. I like the colour, I am not usually a fan of any alteration to the natural colour of the timber but think you have got that just right.

John

Thanks for the comments everyone.

I was quite pleased with the results of the turning. I realised after I'd finished that the tapered spindle between the beads on the original was actually thinner at the bottom (i.e. the diameter starts at the bottom of the v cut for the bead not the diameter of the bead - never mind!).

I did a bit a experimenting with finishes. After a post on the turning forum (despite the suggestions) I went for a cellulose sealer then used high friction polish for the spindles, which came out with a really nice finish. I understand from the experienced turners that using a high friction polish on unsealed wood is quite tricky to apply. For the the square parts of the legs and the aprons I used blonde shellac. For the top and the shelf I used cellulose sealer and melamine laquer as I thought it would be more durable (and I've never used it before and wanted to see how it turned out). The melamine gives quite a good natural looking finish which I'm quite pleased with.

For those who want to see what the Liberty originals look like, here is a picture of two tables from the Millinery Works
http://www.filehigh.com/serve/3221/145846.jpg

For my next project I want to make something with some drawers, so I'm planning a hall/console table and rather fancy a granite top. Playing around with design drawings at the moment...
Ed

The table looks fantastic Edmund! Well done! =D>

I agree with Johnboy about the colour

Cheers

edmund":mw31x1v6 said:
....snip.... For the top and the shelf I used cellulose sealer and melamine laquer ...snip...

As a matter of interest how did you apply the melamine?

edmund":mw31x1v6 said:
For those who want to see what the Liberty originals look like, here is a picture of two tables from the Millinery Works
http://www.filehigh.com/serve/3221/145846.jpg

Well for what it's worth I prefer your version, your slight design changes look far more robust without looking heavy and maintain in my eyes a better balance. The original looks spindly and lacks a certain elegance for me.

CHJ":1k8hccv1 said:
... As a matter of interest how did you apply the melamine?

For the laquer I used a flat laquer brush which I got from WS Jenkins. I used laquer from Mylands. I let the laquer down with a touch of thinners which made it easier to apply. 3 coats in total, cutting back between each. The cellulose sealer I applied underneath I just used a cloth.

I actually had two goes at the top - the first one I made off my plan I drew and it was a bit two small :oops: So if anyone needs an 1" thick oak hexagon let me know :D

edmund":qs55xbcz said:
CHJ":qs55xbcz said:
... As a matter of interest how did you apply the melamine?

For the laquer I used a flat laquer brush which I got from WS Jenkins. I used laquer from Mylands. I let the laquer down with a touch of thinners which made it easier to apply. 3 coats in total, cutting back between each. The cellulose sealer I applied underneath I just used a cloth.
Thanks for the feedback.

edmund":qs55xbcz said:
I actually had two goes at the top - the first one I made off my plan I drew and it was a bit two small :oops: So if anyone needs an 1" thick oak hexagon let me know :D
Does not show in the finished item :lol: and lets face it we all need a practice piece now and then.

Back