Monster Truck

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well done. I intend to make some toys too and you have started me thinking now. I think your monster truck looks superb, for a start, and I also think I need to aim for your standard of finish.
Excellent!

SF

Shadowfax":1iru7k0t said:
Well done. I intend to make some toys too and you have started me thinking now. I think your monster truck looks superb, for a start, and I also think I need to aim for your standard of finish.
Excellent!

SF

Achieving the finish was one of the easiest parts of the whole project. After machine sanding flatsurfaces I machine and then hand sanded the curves. The wax was applied in two generous coats and hand buffed. A stiff paint brush was used to stipple wax into and out of crevices. Because I used wax instead of varnish there was no extended drying period between coats and no problem with moving parts getting stuck. As I recall the finbishing took a couple of hours. If I had varnished it, it would have taken days.

And watching the lustre appear so quickly was one of thre most satisfying parts of the job.

I'll bet we're all the same - we can't see a piece of wood without touching it. And here we have gorgeous curves to play with too! :)

An excellent start your truck has a nice feel to it, not too babyish and not too much detail either. And nice use of contrasting wood's as well.
I made a tractor and trailer for my boy but the tires were smooth no tread's like yours. I was thinking possibly a way to do wheels could be to turn them (or bandsaw/sand them), and use a combination of a woodturner's indexing system to rotate the disc acurately for even spacing's with a router-and-jig to machine small but accurately spaced and lengthed "treads". You would keep the solid wheel then no need to fuss about lining them up?? Just a thought. I know next time I do a wheel I'll use the lathe so as to get dead centres, even a mil out turns the wheel into a cam :roll: :lol: :lol:
cheers Jonathan :D

mr spanton":jjhfey01 said:
An excellent start your truck has a nice feel to it, not too babyish and not too much detail either. And nice use of contrasting wood's as well.
I made a tractor and trailer for my boy but the tires were smooth no tread's like yours. I was thinking possibly a way to do wheels could be to turn them (or bandsaw/sand them), and use a combination of a woodturner's indexing system to rotate the disc acurately for even spacing's with a router-and-jig to machine small but accurately spaced and lengthed "treads". You would keep the solid wheel then no need to fuss about lining them up?? Just a thought. I know next time I do a wheel I'll use the lathe so as to get dead centres, even a mil out turns the wheel into a cam :roll: :lol: :lol:
cheers Jonathan :D

With bandsawn wheels you have two potential causes for a cam effect.

a) How central is the axle hole?
b) How truly circular are the wheels?

For a) I used a centre finding guage, after I had done all the working. The central holes were the last to be cut.

For b) I cut the outlines carefully on the bandsaw then used the disc sander. With the wheels laid flat on the table on the left hand side of the disc, the disc sander would impart an almost natural spin to the wheel, which ensured a reasonably accurate circle. Once I had glued the halves together, I repeated the disc sander action to finesse them.

Love the truck, Paul.

My 5 year old lad would love one - we'll have to make one together!

Re making the wheels - would it be sacreligious to suggest using a hole-saw? I've always wondered what to do with all those round bits of wood left over after using one!

Cheers
Brad

Brad Naylor":1pek9z0h said:
Love the truck, Paul.

My 5 year old lad would love one - we'll have to make one together!

Re making the wheels - would it be sacreligious to suggest using a hole-saw? I've always wondered what to do with all those round bits of wood left over after using one!

Cheers
Brad

Don't see why a hole saw wouldn't work if you can go to 3 1/4" (83mm) diameter and cut a hardwood. Mine wouldn't, and SWMBO was already blanching at the cost of the other tools

Brilliant job Paul, makes me ashamed to look at my efforts ( but I will show myself up if you look at www.roleswoodcraft.piczo.com you will see there that I also make buttons and shawl pins.)
Incidentally I came across this workshop when I was looking for Hexhamshire Timber, so gratefull thanks for everyones directions as I shall be going tomorrow.

On the point of wheels I did actually use a holesaw for mine then sanded them down on the pillar drill, obviously just finishing up with smooth wheels though.

Good job!! I'm really impressed with the craftmanship, the tires espeically look very impressive and quite intricate, if I had young family this is definitly something I would make. I remember as a wee boy I used to love playing with tonka trucks, a wooden would be nirvana for a small child!

Welcome to the forum,Roles47 :D - looks like I'm no longer the only one on the forum from Darlo :lol:
Was thinking of going for a ride out to Hexhamshire Hardwoods myself this week - only been once before,so be interesting if I can find it again :shock:

Well worth the trip,though.

Andrew

roles47":2ek0imhd said:
Brilliant job Paul, makes me ashamed to look at my efforts ( but I will show myself up if you look at www.roleswoodcraft.piczo.com you will see there that I also make buttons and shawl pins.)
Incidentally I came across this workshop when I was looking for Hexhamshire Timber, so gratefull thanks for everyones directions as I shall be going tomorrow.

They look great!

Well I got to Hexhamshire last Wednesday, thanks to all the instructions it was a doddle to find. :D
Greta place great staff and great timbers too.

Back