Monster Truck

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Paul Barrett

Established Member
Reaction score
It's been a few months since I joined the forum and started asking lots of questions about tools, timber suppliers and finishes so that I could begin to make some toys for my grandson. The first one rolled off the production line just before Xmas and here it is:

cab and pickup = beech
fenders etc = purpleheart
wheels = black walnut

Approx 9 in long x 6 in wide by 8 in high

IMG_5731.jpg

Hey that looks great, Paul. =D> Nice work. =D> I merely wonder how you cut the profile to the tires? Do you have any details for us?

Regards, Marc

Looks fantastic, Paul - I would be interested to hear how you did the grooves in the wheels too.

Cheers,
Neil

MarcW":239h1rqt said:
Hey that looks great, Paul. =D> Nice work. =D> I merely wonder how you cut the profile to the tires? Do you have any details for us?

Regards, Marc

Actually the tyres were the most complex part of all. They are made of two glued halves, and the halves are handed and the tyres are also handed - so you have to keep your wits about you or the treads will end up pointing in the wrong direction!

The technigue is described in detail in the book I worked from 'Tremendous Toy Trucks' by Les Neufeld, but basically consists of cutting the treads on a bandsaw using a 15 Degree wedge to create the bias cut

Lovely job! My 2 year old would absolutely love that.
Do you have any work in progress shots? Where did you get the design from?
Cheers
Gidon

gidon":1jhzzyok said:
Lovely job! My 2 year old would absolutely love that.
Do you have any work in progress shots? Where did you get the design from?
Cheers
Gidon

No sorry, no WIP shots but there are plenty in the book I used 'Tremendous Toy Trucks' Les Neufeld ISBN 1-56158-399-5 available on Amazon and many other places

Very nice,Paul - finished job looks excellent :D

Will also put in a vote for Hexhamshire Hardwoods - been to the site,and bought off them via e-bay;excellent service,good-quality timber,and genuinely nice people.

Andrew

PowerTool":37qten67 said:
Very nice,Paul - finished job looks excellent :D

Will also put in a vote for Hexhamshire Hardwoods - been to the site,and bought off them via e-bay;excellent service,good-quality timber,and genuinely nice people.

Andrew

It was from them that I bought the finish - Chestnut Woodwax 22 - a beeswax with carnauba wax finish that is superb for toys. It is safe - non toxic and, as a wax, is more flexible than a varnish so much more able to stand knocks. And as you can see from the phto it gives a wonderfully organic lustre to the finish

Very nice - You can't beat a wooden toy for giving pleasure to both maker and recipient - hope he liked it.

I put personalised number plates on for added realism. Hope you signed and dated it, its amazing how time flies when you look back on items you have made.

Shultzy":1u9gjk19 said:
Very nice - You can't beat a wooden toy for giving pleasure to both maker and recipient - hope he liked it.

I put personalised number plates on for added realism. Hope you signed and dated it, its amazing how time flies when you look back on items you have made.

Oh, yes he likes it. Apprently he was lying on the floor pushing it up and down saying ' Jacob's monster truck. Clever Grandad' So, patronised by a two year old!

Signing and dating - now that's a good idea. I can even use the pyrographic kit I was bought for Xmas

CYC":3s1up13q said:
Superb toy. I wish I could do that.

With the right tools (as always) it's not too difficult. But you need a band saw, a bench sander, pillar drill, drum sander and forstner bits. I had to buy most of those before I started so the economics are pretty poor. But as I make more it will get better. And the cost is worth it for the pleasure.

brilliant truck paul, my grandsons would love to play with something like that. :wink:

Back