Monkey Puzzle

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gregmcateer

Established Member
Reaction score
Dear People,
I have been offered some monkey puzzle that has just been felled.
About 12 inches plus diameter, in VERY HEAVY !!! pieces about 3 feet long.
Can anyone advise as to whether or not it can bear being shortened to more manageable lengths?
Should I rip it down the length, (though obviously this means no vase/hollow form 'in the round' options?
If I seal the ends, any views of how soon I need to use it?
Thanks,
Greg

Something to bear in mind with this wood is that it contains a LOT of sap which is very, very sticky particularly if you turn it while it's wet. Cover everything...self included.
I have seen some nice pieces, all in the round though so that you can see all the knots to best effect.

This one was cut down some weeks ago, the sections are cut so that there is a substantial piece of wood, 10 inches or so, either side of where the branch whorls are situated, this tree started to turn it's toes up a year ago so it is not as wet as a thriving green tree would be, it has been covered and placed in the shade where no sun can get at it, there is no splitting as yet.
If anyone lives near Grantham and want some, PM me and I will give you directions.

Andy

Monkey puzzle 1.jpg

Monkey puzzle 2.jpg

Attachments

• Monkey puzzle 1.jpg
    Monkey puzzle 1.jpg
    61.9 KB · Views: 1,209
  • Monkey puzzle 2.jpg
    Monkey puzzle 2.jpg
    61.1 KB · Views: 1,209
gregmcateer":3onhagtd said:
Dear People,
I have been offered some monkey puzzle that has just been felled.
Should I rip it down the length, (though obviously this means no vase/hollow form 'in the round' options?

Never turned monkey puzzle, but it looks to me like a relative of Norfolk Island Pine.
The classic way to turn NIP is in the round ie DO NOT rip down the length
http://www.google.co.uk/imgres?imgurl=h ... Aw&dur=475

NIP if turned very thin and them soaked in poly finish can become translucent.
Suggest you search the web for turning Norfolk Island Pine -its a popular wood in US and can produce some attractive pieces

Brian

Attachments

• NIP.png
    NIP.png
    21.2 KB · Views: 1,193
Last summer I turned some within days of it being felled and it was one of the most unpleasant turning experiences that I've had (probably second only to banksia dust!). The sap was awful (very sticky and lots of it) and the sharp spines on the outside were very unpleasant. I've yet to try any of the other pieces that I have but they haven't yet split - they're between 1 and 2feet long stored in the shade of a tree

Ill agree with the fact its a horrible wood to turn and it is number one on my avoidances list but the results can be stunning very hard wood blunts tools quickly and that sap is like superglue
Regards
Bill

Hi Greg,
If you take the bark off (approx 1" thick) first then most of the stickiest resinous stuff will go with it.

I found that a short sharp jemmy works best but wear some gloves too as those spines can be nasty and the wounds can go septic.

Have fun (well as much as you can) because as others have said it's not the best wood to turn.
HTH
Jon

Latest posts

Back