Monkey Puzzle.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cowboy _Builder

Established Member
Reaction score
I have the chance of quite a few pieces of Monkey Puzzle ,it was only cut down on Thursday so it has a tremendous amount of sap in it at the moment , has anyone had any experience of turning it, i've looked at a few sites and seen some good results .

I got 2 blanks here the guy I got them from was more than willing to get rid of it although the results are very pleasing its a pig to turn so he told me its best green turned that was the advice I got i m wary of it all I can say is let me know how you got around it good luck :) :) :)
Regards
Bill

It is horrible stuff to turn, but can provide stunning results. It can be pretty sappy and there is a significant difference between the main growth and any branches. The main tree turns like butter and the branches or knots are extremely hard...

Ian

Hi,
I have turned a lot of monkey puzzle over the last couple of years and have produced some nice pieces.
I got hold of a complete tree about 14 months ago and immediately removed all of the bark with a hammer and chisel( not a nice job) and then sealed all of the ends.

Some of the lumps were 20" in diam. And I have just started turning some of it. It is still a little bit wet but once I have got it rough turned I leave it to dry for another couple of months before finishing off.

I always finish the work with 3 coats of Danish Oil and when the oil has dried I buff up on the polishing wheels.

Regards

Vic

Latest posts

Back