Monkey Puzzle

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Colin, it's like gold dust around here, if you have access to some then grab it quick and guard it well, turners are apt to appear out of the local woodwork like the dreaded woodworm just at the smell of it.

Greg Moreton trys claiming monkey puzzle trees years before they actually come down.

He is has some great tips on turning monkey puzzle bowls if you ever get the chance to see him.

Dave

mp turns very well - it is really a pine with very hard knots but turns alot better and sands to a beautiful smooth feel - when you turn the end grain it will give a circle of 'peacock feathers - knots' but the centre pith may fall out - turn sidegrain will give a varying number of knots - more round and purple with no pith - the choice is up to you..... i have one on the lathe at the moment and i will post a pic when finished......should be earlY next week (i have a bit of carving still to do to it).......
The other good point about mp is that it dries quickly being a softwood with minimal splitting and if you wish you can let it stain to give nice blue streaks through the wood.
It is a pain to cut though - the sap clogs your chainsawn and bandsaw so rough cut it and then dry to round up later....

Thanks for the tips guys, I've just been given a forty foot mp tree, just to arrange to get it home, I m led to believe its been felled for 3 years, I will update with photos when I get a chance but it maybe a while before I get it all home. thanks

Back