End grain , large “ monkey puzzle “ bowl . Turning the inside ?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kendle99

Established Member
Reaction score
Anyone got some useful tips on the best methods , to turn the inside of a large end grain
“ monkey puzzle “ bowl . The wood is well seasoned, at 10% moisture.

Bowl gouge but be careful. I once snapped off the end of a Crown bowl gauge because it was projecting about 70mm. I bought two curved tool rests after that.

I watched this YouTube video the other day by Kent from "Turn A Wood Bowl", and thought it was interesting and informative, and I personally quite like his style of presentation. I might contain some helpful tips.

I have done a large end grain apple bowl before, it is hard work with end grain, you need a big bowl gouge and sharpen it more often. if you have any forstner bits or large drill bits you can start clearing the centre out with these. Also yes some curved tool rests to minimize overhand are useful.

People really into deep bowls often have chisel handles approaching 3 feet long for leverage with big overhangs.

Whatever tool you use cut from the inside out you will find it easier. I would use an 1/2" bowl gouge especially if the bowl is deep and angle the tool rest into the bowl

For hollowing end grain I would drill the centre hole to the depth required using either drill bit or sawtooth forstner and then hollow from the centre to outer with a spindle gouge adjust tool rest to suit the overhang. There are many videos on YT showing how it's done. You can also use carbide or ring tool to do the same. Light cuts only as a catch will dislodge end grain in a jiffy.

i.e.

Latest posts

Back