Modern sideboard tops - edge lamination?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Digizz

Established Member
Reaction score
Well, after a long time of no woodworking :( I've decided to make the next piece of furniture on the list - a sideboard/cupboard :)

I want to make this fairly quickly and will be using real wood veneered MDF to match the aquarium cabinet I built last year.

Most of the construction is failry simple I think but I'm not sure about the top of the piece. I could use solid timber (it will be Canadian hard maple which I've got stock of) or more veneered MDF.

My question relates to the edge strip veneer - I've done this successfully with square edges but how would you apply this on a rounded edge like is common on tops? I have the iron on type of edging. Does it work on curved edges? how difficult is it to do?

Thanks,

Paul.

I've never used the stuff so feel free to ignore this.
But..
I don't think it'll curve very well. You'd probably be better off edging in solid timber.
Maybe that's what you had in mind anyway.

Well yes, I could do - but wanted to explore the possible more simple solution first.

It all depends on how thick a top I design I guess.

Personally, i wouldn't use an edge tape on the curve. Alot less hassle to lip with solid, then profile to the required shape. Corners will be stronger too

Andy

Back