Quantcast

Mobile workbenches

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

Orraloon

Established Member
Reaction score
A neat solution. Now I am sure all potential bench builders will be asking where to get them and how much do they cost.
Regards
John

Jamied

Established Member
Reaction score
Great idea, yes please tell, how much and where did you source them?

shed9

Established Member
Reaction score
Nice simple and effective idea. I've used the footmaster levelling castors in the past on benches and some machine stands. Similar idea other than a dial as opposed to a lever. I actually prefer this option as it allows you to have same say in the type of wheel and importantly the width.

MilesH

Established Member
Reaction score
I can tell you where to get the components but you'll need a metalworking lathe to put them together......

shed9

Established Member
Reaction score
MilesH":259ui5d4 said:
I can tell you where to get the components but you'll need a metalworking lathe to put them together......
I did wonder if you made them, got me a decent lathe and I'm going to have a go. That is simple, functional and elegant, thanks for sharing.

MilesH

Established Member
Reaction score
A simplified version would be to just drill a hole through the leadscrew for the jacking lever (omitting the collar). Then drill and tap a hole in the end of the leadscrew for the castor fixing. That would all be do-able on a drill press.... Minor diameter of T20 is 15mm.

The small castors I used are rated at 100kg dynamic load each.

MilesH

Established Member
Reaction score
shed9":1fdvipn2 said:
I did wonder if you made them, got me a decent lathe and I'm going to have a go. That is simple, functional and elegant, thanks for sharing.
I turned down the leadscrew in two steps, 15m dia for the shrink fit collar and <10mm for M10 male thread (die cut). I see that you can get the same castors with a 12mm hole now. That would be preferable.

shed9

Established Member
Reaction score
MilesH":2nc5anlz said:
shed9":2nc5anlz said:
I turned down the leadscrew in two steps, 15m dia for the shrink fit collar and <10mm for M10 male thread (die cut). I see that you can get the same castors with a 12mm hole now. That would be preferable.
It is the option of castors that does it for me in addition to the lever design. My floor is semi-rigid plastic tiles and wider castors work better whereas the footmaster units are fairly narrow which is awkward with heavier kit.

MilesH

Established Member
Reaction score
Ok, here's a spec. for a simplified version:

TR24x5 leadscrews and nuts left-hand and right-hand pairs (available from ACCU).

Drill and tap the end of the leadscrews for M10 to fix the castors on.

Use an 8mm slot drill to drill a flat on the side of the leadscrews (above the castor fixing thread) and drill a cross hole though for the 8mm dia. raising levers.

All do-able with hand tools and a pillar drill.

Useful resource: https://mdmetric.com/tech/thddat16.htm

MilesH

Established Member
Reaction score
Deadeye":39en0yf2 said:
Any idea what force would be required on the handle to provide 200Kgs of "lift"?
Difficult to answer because the mechanical advantage varies with the position of the lever... For 3mm of movement to raise a bench I think it would be ok. Any more than that and the advantage drops off steeply....