Mobile workbenches

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MilesH

Established Member
Reaction score
In case it's of interest, this was my solution to fitting castors. The jacks use RH and LH 20mm trapezoidal thread.
P4020796.jpg

P4020797.jpg

P4020798.jpg

Attachments

• P4020796.jpg
    P4020796.jpg
    247.7 KB · Views: 302
  • P4020797.jpg
    P4020797.jpg
    428.5 KB · Views: 300
  • P4020798.jpg
    P4020798.jpg
    428.3 KB · Views: 302
Nice simple and effective idea. I've used the footmaster levelling castors in the past on benches and some machine stands. Similar idea other than a dial as opposed to a lever. I actually prefer this option as it allows you to have same say in the type of wheel and importantly the width.

I can tell you where to get the components but you'll need a metalworking lathe to put them together......

MilesH":259ui5d4 said:
I can tell you where to get the components but you'll need a metalworking lathe to put them together......
I did wonder if you made them, got me a decent lathe and I'm going to have a go. That is simple, functional and elegant, thanks for sharing.

A simplified version would be to just drill a hole through the leadscrew for the jacking lever (omitting the collar). Then drill and tap a hole in the end of the leadscrew for the castor fixing. That would all be do-able on a drill press.... Minor diameter of T20 is 15mm.

The small castors I used are rated at 100kg dynamic load each.

shed9":1fdvipn2 said:
I did wonder if you made them, got me a decent lathe and I'm going to have a go. That is simple, functional and elegant, thanks for sharing.
I turned down the leadscrew in two steps, 15m dia for the shrink fit collar and <10mm for M10 male thread (die cut). I see that you can get the same castors with a 12mm hole now. That would be preferable.

MilesH":2nc5anlz said:
shed9":2nc5anlz said:
I turned down the leadscrew in two steps, 15m dia for the shrink fit collar and <10mm for M10 male thread (die cut). I see that you can get the same castors with a 12mm hole now. That would be preferable.
It is the option of castors that does it for me in addition to the lever design. My floor is semi-rigid plastic tiles and wider castors work better whereas the footmaster units are fairly narrow which is awkward with heavier kit.

Ok, here's a spec. for a simplified version:

TR24x5 leadscrews and nuts left-hand and right-hand pairs (available from ACCU).

Drill and tap the end of the leadscrews for M10 to fix the castors on.

Use an 8mm slot drill to drill a flat on the side of the leadscrews (above the castor fixing thread) and drill a cross hole though for the 8mm dia. raising levers.

All do-able with hand tools and a pillar drill.

Useful resource: https://mdmetric.com/tech/thddat16.htm

Deadeye":39en0yf2 said:
Any idea what force would be required on the handle to provide 200Kgs of "lift"?
Difficult to answer because the mechanical advantage varies with the position of the lever... For 3mm of movement to raise a bench I think it would be ok. Any more than that and the advantage drops off steeply....

Back