ml 8 tailstock broken - like my heart

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wildewood

Established Member
Reaction score
Oh my god heart break I have just broken the tailstock on my ml 8 at the back where the thread meets the handle, its alloy and I believe unfixable - does anyone have an ml 8 tailstock of an idea of a fix, I was hoping to do some turning before returning to work. :cry:
Any help would be great - gutted - looking at the tailstock it seems a bit of design weak spot and perhaps could have been made with more of the stock body behind it to gibe more support.
Anyway many thanks in advance for any help and happy Christmas to all - Shaun

A few photos might help, maybe it could be recast and machined is it cast iron or Aluminium? could it be welded or silver soldered.
Assuming I understand where it has broken the following is a possible repair

Turn a collar, then split it in two like a bearing and fit over the top of the two parts (suitably degreased araldite together and hold tight with jubilee clips. Photos of the actual damage would help

or maybe use this
http://www.fastmotorcare.co.uk/products ... wwod4LEJnw

I have a ML8 with a broken tailstock which has had a steel collar around it, and it works quite well.
If they are cast alloy a good TIG welder should do it for you, if they are Mazak, 'fraid not.
They do go by on the Bay so all is not lost, but there isn't one on at the moment

wildewood":3lov34ep said:
Oh my god heart break I have just broken the tailstock on my ml 8 at the back where the thread meets the handle, its alloy and I believe unfixable - does anyone have an ml 8 tailstock of an idea of a fix, I was hoping to do some turning before returning to work. :cry:
Any help would be great - gutted - looking at the tailstock it seems a bit of design weak spot and perhaps could have been made with more of the stock body behind it to gibe more support.
Anyway many thanks in advance for any help and happy Christmas to all - Shaun

Somebody posting on the AWGB forum has exactly the same problem!

MC

Back